Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 93 DX coupe that came with a CAI, the kind that goes all the way into the fender well. I know they are supposed to add horse power but I'd like to know if that HP translates to fuel economy. I'm considering going back to stock. While I'm not a kid, I'm not a grandpa either. This is now my DD and my 50 mile round trip is turning to 70 this summer so I'm more about mileage than HP at this point.

I'd appreciate your input.

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
you now have a less restrictive intake tract. you have less pumping losses causae your motor can breather easier.

ya aint losin mpgs

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
i would remove the CAI and reinstall the factory breather, and help direct hot air into the engine. the ecu will pull fuel from higher IAT's and the car will run leaner. the warmer air will help promote atomization of the fuel which will help with a more complete burn.

if you could chip your ECU you could see even better mileage gains.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
you basically just said the same thing...:3dtard:
"Leaner" means there is not enough fuel to have a stoichiometric ratio, whereas "less fuel" can still achieve a stiochiometric ratio depending on temperature and pressure.

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
"Leaner" means there is not enough fuel to have a stoichiometric ratio, whereas "less fuel" can still achieve a stiochiometric ratio depending on temperature and pressure.
what you need to realize is that your computer doesnt always set your a/f to stoich. in many instances it sets it a little lean for better fuel economy.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
what you need to realize is that your computer doesnt always set your a/f to stoich. in many instances it sets it a little lean for better fuel economy.
Yeah, I was just using that as an explanation.

Basically, "leaner" is measured on a relative scale, and "less fuel" is measured on an absolute scale.

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
your argument was correct, i was just adding that you needed to be more clear when talking about your computers "desired" a/f ratio.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
higher IAT's will also pull timing, killing any gain from the warmer air.

There is a formula, mine, proven.

Keep the CAI.....but mind you I drive 125 miles a day.....

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
higher IAT's will also pull timing, killing any gain from the warmer air.
Well, the improved atomization and higher internal energy from the higher IAT's will increase the burn rate. Then, the engine will perform better with less timing.

Of course, if too much timing is pulled (for reliability concerns), then yes, any potential gain will be killed.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
Lean = more timing since the burn is so slow.

You need the "Smokey" timing curve.......one secret that I understand but will never fully explain....if I could.

Old school recurving a dizzy with light springs and changing the weight stops.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I guess I'll run a couple tanks with it and a couple with a stock box and see what works best for me. Thanks for all the scary smart explanations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts