Honda D Series Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How will running a d16z6 with vitara pistons and new rods be before turbo?

35K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  mindless 
#1 ·
I was wondering...how will performance be on a d16 with vitara pistons and eagle rods before adding a turbo? Any better than stock? worse than stock?

Im going to be building a d16 for boost but I am doing so over the course of a year...the turbo will be the last thing I slap on it. How will it be to drive it before the turbo goes in?

Thanks

#4 · (Edited)
Yah I was crying the blues at first because it sucks so bad with a stock timing map in the low end but I could have been real lean with z6 head ported and a cam, I/H/E but the top end isn't too bad. Properly tuned it should be decent with more timing the low end out of boost response is outstanding with my 7.1:1 running with an a6 head. Make sure you have a good timing and fuel map though and it will be ok. For example Jfk said his old n/a vitara build two years ago properly tuned before the 54 trim lol, was faster in the quarter mile than with the stock engine.

#5 ·
How would it do untuned?? i'll be building mine for boost but this is my project car. i wanna break the motor in before i put the turbo on it and tune it. Pretty much what i'm sayin is can i run a vitara/eagle h beam setup on stock ecu in a full z6 safely for breakin?

#15 ·
Good to hear. cuz I'm nearing completion of gathering parts so building and breaking in is next up.

break it in on the dyno:)
I don't have the monies for all that extra dyno time. This is a budget build.

#10 ·
with a header, it will feel fine. going thru a turbo mani/turbo kills alot of power when we arent in boost to. people say it takes power to make power on a s/c. well in a way it does on a turbo car to, cause all that exhuast going thru that tiny turbine makes alot of backpressure which hurts power. so witha header i think you will be 100% fine. as long as you have a tune for it, or its gonna run rich on the stock map.

#12 · (Edited)
i AM CURRENTLY breaking in my (turbo) vitara build without TURBO. My low end lags it and top end i feel like i lost a LOT of it compared to stock. running stock+6 degrees of timing on low cam timing maps for now not sure about high cam . I revved it to 8k once for the hell of it and damn that thing made noise but didnt move haha

#13 ·
also to show somthing, they put down 98whp on a stock z6. think it was dude with the 600whp vitara d16. but they dynoed the vitara pistons before the turbo with a header, mind you this entire engine is built head and all, so thats prolly why, but the vitara setup put down 112whp. But if ya think about it, if it had stock pistons, or higher cr, that thing prolly woulda sat down 165-175whp!

#17 ·
are you running on an all stock ecu?

#18 ·
I ended up running a Vega base map for a while for vitara compression with the stock injectors so there was less risk for improper offset. Do you have the ecu socketed yet?

#21 ·
I'm so glad someone started this thread. I've been wanting to ask this for a year!!!

#23 ·
You can run the stock map it didn't wash out my cross hatch, but I was concerned you might want it a little more responsive.

#25 ·
yes I do have my ecu socketed, I bought it that way. but i'll be getting it dyno tuned on chrome pro prolly. idk much about socketing or anything like that, I haven't gotten to that point in my build yet.

#26 · (Edited)
I have the same question too. I completed my D16z6 motor with bisi 2.4 turbo cam, bisi cam gear, bisi valve spring, and 75.5 vitara pistons with FJ-R I-beam rods.

Wondering will it run like crap with stock P28 D16z6 ecu, because I'm going for the swap next week. So i'm eager to know any feedbacks :)

I agreed with get it tuned as well, but It's NA tho. Will my motor last if i dont get it tune for NA til i get my turbokit in like 6months

#29 ·

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.