Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering...how will performance be on a d16 with vitara pistons and eagle rods before adding a turbo? Any better than stock? worse than stock?

Im going to be building a d16 for boost but I am doing so over the course of a year...the turbo will be the last thing I slap on it. How will it be to drive it before the turbo goes in?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I was wondering...how will performance be on a d16 with vitara pistons and eagle rods before adding a turbo? Any better than stock? worse than stock?

Im going to be building a d16 for boost but I am doing so over the course of a year...the turbo will be the last thing I slap on it. How will it be to drive it before the turbo goes in?

Thanks
I have vitara egle setup and when a pipe come out the engine is Lazy!

Vitara a low comp vs oem pistons so you will feel a little of weakness.

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
Yah I was crying the blues at first because it sucks so bad with a stock timing map in the low end but I could have been real lean with z6 head ported and a cam, I/H/E but the top end isn't too bad. Properly tuned it should be decent with more timing the low end out of boost response is outstanding with my 7.1:1 running with an a6 head. Make sure you have a good timing and fuel map though and it will be ok. For example Jfk said his old n/a vitara build two years ago properly tuned before the 54 trim lol, was faster in the quarter mile than with the stock engine.

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
How would it do untuned?? i'll be building mine for boost but this is my project car. i wanna break the motor in before i put the turbo on it and tune it. Pretty much what i'm sayin is can i run a vitara/eagle h beam setup on stock ecu in a full z6 safely for breakin?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
with a header, it will feel fine. going thru a turbo mani/turbo kills alot of power when we arent in boost to. people say it takes power to make power on a s/c. well in a way it does on a turbo car to, cause all that exhuast going thru that tiny turbine makes alot of backpressure which hurts power. so witha header i think you will be 100% fine. as long as you have a tune for it, or its gonna run rich on the stock map.

·
Registered
92 eg
723 Posts
i AM CURRENTLY breaking in my (turbo) vitara build without TURBO. My low end lags it and top end i feel like i lost a LOT of it compared to stock. running stock+6 degrees of timing on low cam timing maps for now not sure about high cam . I revved it to 8k once for the hell of it and damn that thing made noise but didnt move haha

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
also to show somthing, they put down 98whp on a stock z6. think it was dude with the 600whp vitara d16. but they dynoed the vitara pistons before the turbo with a header, mind you this entire engine is built head and all, so thats prolly why, but the vitara setup put down 112whp. But if ya think about it, if it had stock pistons, or higher cr, that thing prolly woulda sat down 165-175whp!

·
Registered
2 Posts
also to show somthing, they put down 98whp on a stock z6. think it was dude with the 600whp vitara d16. but they dynoed the vitara pistons before the turbo with a header, mind you this entire engine is built head and all, so thats prolly why, but the vitara setup put down 112whp. But if ya think about it, if it had stock pistons, or higher cr, that thing prolly woulda sat down 165-175whp!
my gsr when i was breaking it in all motor made 190 with 9:1 so it was tolerable

i never dynoed my sohc when it was na low comp for break in i didnt want to know, cause my butt dyno was telling me gutt less

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
i have a friend who ran his low compression forged setup on a stock ECU for an NA break in, no problems
Good to hear. cuz I'm nearing completion of gathering parts so building and breaking in is next up.

break it in on the dyno:)
I don't have the monies for all that extra dyno time. This is a budget build.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm breaking in my vitaras and eagles on a z6 and it lags a little low end, other than that its totally fine. About 500kms on it now.

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
are you running on an all stock ecu?

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
I ended up running a Vega base map for a while for vitara compression with the stock injectors so there was less risk for improper offset. Do you have the ecu socketed yet?

·
Registered
92 eg
723 Posts
hmm i actually finally blew my head gasket again so im not sure if its always been blown since start up so idk LOL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.