Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, many of you may know I'm running a moderate NA setup right now. But i'm looking at picking up a 2nd car so I'm thinking of either bumper CR or lowering it and going boosted.

My main question is will my Crower stg 2 cam work well for boost? It specs out at 235/223 [email protected] and 432/436 lift. I figure it will work better than a stock cam will. I'm not planning on running big boost, may just leave it like it is but throw in some lower CR pistons (Since i'm running PM6's on this z6 head) maybe just some stock z6 pistons. I guess I could boost it like it is, but thats more CR than I wanna tune for on boost.

I also have a third option, I have a nitrous kit I could throw on and spend the money on an LSD.

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
i say stay N/a, but thats just me. I think N/a commands more respect than a boosted motor. Lets be honest, a N/a motor scream is better than a turbo whistle. The stage 2 cam will work in both applications, but may lower your compression too low for the boost set up. Running 9:1 on boost is the best of both worlds and is fairly easy to tune IMO.

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
i say stay N/a, but thats just me. I think N/a commands more respect than a boosted motor. Lets be honest, a N/a motor scream is better than a turbo whistle. The stage 2 cam will work in both applications, but may lower your compression too low for the boost set up. Running 9:1 on boost is the best of both worlds and is fairly easy to tune IMO.

a cam wont mess with your compression ratio...

op i dunno... a stage two cam for an n/a engine which was its original purpose probably isnt the best for boost. i think you want less overlap on a boosted application

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
The truth has been spoken.
so funny how when tranzex says it its truth, but when i say it...:gayfight2: rofl.

FWIW, a cam with lots of overlap is bad for turbo since the pressurized gas in the exhaust manifold will creep back into the cylinders creating a contaminated mixture

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Yeah ! the hard way is the honor way :p

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
so funny how when tranzex says it its truth, but when i say it...:gayfight2: rofl.
When did I disagree with you on this? Maybe back before I knew it to be true, but no time recently.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
actually, the stock cam is better than an aftermarket N/A cam for boost. too much overlap.

i suggest HEAVILY against p29's other than if you just wanted to do it cause its easy. flat tops and milled head will be better in every single way than p29's.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i already have a good nitrous kit, and I really need an LSD before I throw down any more power. I could prolly pick up some turbo parts from my buddy's Conquest for some free turbo parts, albeit in low boost(which is what I would be going for). As far as the cam, thats what I was asking about was referring to the overlap and such. But honestly, do ya'll think the crower would be worse than a stock cam?

I will probably be on a tight budget since I'm in college & getting married, so any boost won't be a full built motor, probably what I have now except just drop my CR to around 9:1.

Spray and lsd would be a nice set-up for you.Especially with everyone on 318,You wouldnt be beat by many.
Yea this is why. I'm in a bracket on a local forum and out of 20+ guys and i'm probably only competitive up to about #14 or 15 right now, so I'm trying to get my car faster. Lol, i'd like to be up there in the 4 cyl bracket behind the 2 boosted B series, and be able to run with the boosted D17 car.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
yes because its a N/A cam, Crower also has the Turbo Stg.2 cam. Your going to have to much overlap in the intake and exhasut and its going to hurt you. See if you can sell or trade it to get either a crower turbo cam or a zex cam or if ya wanna go baller get a bisi or just get a stock z6 cam and play around with the timing on a dyno with it

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
wow where did i miss the poll lol. Fuckin spray that bitch man. Nitrous loves copression. Thats what id do. Get the best of both worlds, High Comp. N/A and if ya want it Giggle Gas to go even faster

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
stay n/a like me and when you face a boosted car hit the juice lol.

man your always changing your mind

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not changing my mind just keeping my options open...I've been NA for like a year now, sicne money and tuning experience limited my boost options, but now I feel like I can tune a boosted setup...I'm kinda leaning toward the spray on my current setup since it's like 10:1 as is, plus I've got a Zex kit, just need a LSD.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
the oem cam is better than a n/a cam for turbo
The Zex 59300 says differently.

The Crower Stage 1 or Crower 2 would be better for boost though, but as far as which would be better for boost, iono. Test it!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts