Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I got a VAFC2 for my 99' Civic, which has 3-stage VTEC and with original 37820-P2J ECU. I found two wires on the VTEC solenoid but only one pin for it in the ECU diagram below. (i.e. B12 in the diagram)

So my problem is how the ECU control both solenoid? Is there extra pin not stated in the diagram? or it is controlled by other mechanism? Because i don't want to loss the 3-stage feature after hooking an VAFC.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
248 Posts
on that u will only beable to control the second (Higher engaged) point Vtec... the VAFC only allows for exchange of one of the Vtec points..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, I know that is two point of change over, one occur at ~3k rpm for 12v-16v lean burn, and other ~6k rpm for the real vtec.

What I want is to control the third stage(i.e. 6k stage), but I don't know which wire from ECU to each solenoid, becoz I see only 1 wire from ECU diagram but 2 wire at my solenoids.

·
Registered
248 Posts
one way to check is to unplug the main Vtec wire from the ecu and run the car and if i clicks the check engine light at 3k then u know that one is for the first stage and u go from there.. lol..

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
i heard u could use an obd1 teg ecu (p72?...anyone?) to control both solenoids then tune from there

·
Registered
96 civic si/ex coupe
17 Posts
Would i be able to use my Feilds VTEC controller if its still obd2? Ive got the 3 stage vtec motor aswell but im running one vtec solenoid and using the P2P ecu aswell as my D16y8 IM. Cause the car doesnt move fast from idle to 5500rpm like it used to but when the vtec kicks moves pretty good. Now the reason why i want to hook up the vtec controller is so when i shift, i want to be in vtec the next gear around 4900rpm.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I spent 3 hours today to trace my ECU wires to the VTEC solenoid(s) [becoz I have 2 :)]. And finally found two wires that goes to the solenoide connector. One is the B12 as stated in the diagram. Another is a wire that is not named in the diagram with a slash.

I'll try to hook up LEDs to those wire and see which is the 3k/7k wire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts