Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost this is the way I tucked my driver's side harness. It is not the only way to do it, just one way. Remember, just be creative and take your time! I did not plan on making a how-to on this I just happened to take quite a few pics so I can look back at if I needed to for any reason and decided this might be helpful for someone else...

Materials/Tools
*Soldering Iron
*60/40 Rosin-core Solder (.062" diam.)
*Heat Shrink Tubing (1/8" + 3/16")
*Heat Gun
*Electrical Tape
*Wire Stripper
*Picking Tool/Micro-tip Screwdriver
*Wire Clothes-hanger

This was my starting point:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.) Remove driver's-side side skirt, fender, front bumper, windshield wipers and windshield wiper cowl (sorry I have no pics of this process). Here is what you end up with:

2.) Unplug/remove harness from the engine bay. Then, pull it through to the inside of the car.

Note: Do not cut/rip the rubber grommet where the harness enters the cabin because you will be re-using it.

3.) Here is the harness pulled out of the car:

Notice how there are two plugs at the end of it (one brown, one grey)? Well, after you completely unwrap the harness you can separate it into two separate harnesses; one harness for each plug. Here is a pic of the grey plug's harness after it has been separated/wrapped. This harness is for the three big plugs inside the bay mounted to the shock tower and it was pulled in (tucked) completely inside of the car. The brown plug's harness has all the wires for the headlights/corners, cruise control/sidemarkers if apl., windshield squirters + wiper motor.

After tucking the harness pictured above, I re-connected it inside and re-used the rubber grommet to seal it up. Note: I cut a slit at the bottom of the rubber grommet and shaved off a piece of it in order for the "now-larger" harness to fit through it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
4.) Now, you should be left with only the brown plug's harness (headlight harness). This is when you have to decide what wires you want to keep. For example, I removed the wires for my windshield squirters, brake master cylinder cap and extra wire for fog lights (I have a DX model so mine does not come with cruise control). After having all of this figured out, I pulled my harness through a hole beside where the hood cable runs through. It was covered by a plastic plug but I cut the center part of it out and ran my harness through it and pressed it back in. I also tucked/pulled my hood latch cable through the fender. Next I taped it all up. The taped up wires on the left are for the wiper motor and the wires on the right are for everything else. You will find out that the headlight wires (red/yellow) are extra long and will need to be shortened in a later step...

Note: The reason I took off my front bumper was because I had problems with the hood closing all the way after tucking my hood cable. To fix this, I had to remove the first plastic clip that follows right after the hood latch. I did not take a pic of this but it would be around this general area:

Removing this first plastic clip will relieve some of the tension in the cable and allow the hood latch to function properly.

5.) Tuck the wiper motor wires. I would have liked to de-pin the wires from the plug but it was being stubborn so I ended up cutting off the plug and soldering the wires after I had ran them through the fender.

To "tuck" the wiper motor wires I simply reached my finger down from the inside of the bay inside the cowl while stuffing the wires through the fender and pulled them through once I felt them. It's a pain... but you'll get it.

6.) Pull the harness through the fender. I cut a wire hanger and used it to aid me in pulling it through:

7.) Plug in everything and decide how much of the wire excess you want to cut. Then, you prep it all up for soldering. (Note: remember to slide your heat shrink tubing in over the wires before you solder them together!) I used the 1/8" heat shrink tubing to cover single wires attached to each other and the 3/16" tubing to cover two wires together after they each have been soldered/heat shrunk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
8.) Tape and Loom. Looking back at these pics I really wish I would've extended that ground wire (for the headlights) and taped it up with the rest of the harness to have it come out with/beside the other two ground wires:

9.)Finished product:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Here are some links that I found helpful while doing this:

Civic EG :: View topic - Engine Bay Wire Tuck
http://honda-tech.com/showthre...ge=10

·
Registered
257 Posts
thas hella clean.props. ill probably never do this because im lazy.but cant deny it looks MAD CLEAN YO!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Using his pics as reference.

When I did mine I cut a hole in the metal between where he put his wires in and where the round hole is to the left. Also on the inside the engine bay. My PS delete reservoir sit right over where the wires go in at and you cant see them.

Here is his pis of the engine bay side. I just turned mine the opposite direction and to run the wires out the hole.

Still have to cut the tape off the harness to get the wires for the engine and re-tape.

After the I cut where the wires come out back about 2". Right where it starts to taper down to a point.

I didnt have to cut any wires, solder or pin anything that way the entire harness would pull threw and was still the right length.

I will just weld a small piece of metal back over the opening so stuff dont get in there from the fender area.

I will get some pics of what and how I did mine later on to show exactly what I am talking about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nice! I personally have no desire to tuck but if i did I would use this thread.
Thanks man! I'm glad you all like it. That's the main reason I made it; to help out other Honda enthusiast like myself!

Writeup on passenger side please? Very detailed compared to others I've seen. I was going to tackle this next week.
Sorry, I have not/did not do a write-up for the passenger's side because I have not tucked it yet. I simply just unclipped the harness from the engine bay and zip-tied it along with the a/c stuff by the intake. Also removed the brackets holding the large grey clips from the harness and zip-tied those down as well. Black zip-ties are a must!

I've done a few things under my hood since I've made this thread. Here is a recent pic, as in I just went outside and took it for ya'll :p

Rep for the Chavo del 8 avatar.
A guevo! It goes with the name... crazy beaner y0!

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
^please, your too lazy to even swap your bad engine harness for your good one..... that you have had for the last year+

but back on topic... thats a nice bay. good job on the tuck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts