Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm trying to strip my wiring harness down to the bare essentials for my race car. A friend of mine has a 91 Integra and said he had issues from cutting unplugged plugs because they needed to be attached to "send signals" to each other or something. It didn't make sense to me, but anyways, if there are plugs that are not being used, can I take these wires out of the harness?

I am trying to make the harness look as neat as possible and and save as much weight as possible but obviously the car must still run!

No heater core, very little fuses in the main underdash fuse box.

Anyways if you can help me out, main thing I want to know..if a plug is not plugged into anything, can I cut it out with no repercussions?

Thanks!

Kyle

·
Registered
189 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem removing wiring for unused plugs as long as the wires don't come into contact with one another.

·
Registered
eg9
344 Posts
i wanted to do this too but theres just so many wires!! even though i removed almost every harness even the engine harness (carb set up) when it comes to that thick underdash harness connected to the steering wheel and fuse box/gauge cluster im at a loss. i cant help but think if i start removing unplugged connectors i'll have no lights etc..

·
Premium Member
A lot
2,028 Posts
He likely had problems because as you said

he had issues from cutting unplugged plugs
I would advise against CUTTING them. If you want it to be clean, and not worry about any issues then DE-PIN them. That involves opening up the plastic plug, using a pin-out removal tool (or a very small jewelers type screwdriver) and depressing a little plastic detent inside the plug that will allow you to slide the wire out of the socket with the pin and all, it should look like it was never there.

If you do this (unless you remove a wire that you actually needed for something by mistake) then you should have no problems.

DO NOT REMOVE ANY GROUNDS!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts