2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you read this how-to and think "what a waste of time"... then you've discovered exactly how bored I became over the past holiday.

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Totally done it, just like the story says, and it holds everything I need to haul now.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
that material looks stronger than the piece of crappy cardboard that's in my EG sedan. Every once in a while I'll take it out and soak it, then sandwich it under some heavy books on my kitchen floor. I'll let it dry that way and afterwards, it holds it shape pretty well... for about a month. Then it sags again :(

I hate it. This idea gave me some other ideas :) Thanks! :TU:

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first thing that came to my mind was to just make one out of plywood or even boilerplate aluminum for teh blingage.

·
Nor Cal D-series rider
1991 Honda Civic STD
810 Posts
^^ I like the boilerplate aluminum idea, then you can add latches and a lock for a nice little discreet safe and cover it up with carpet again...;)

Anything beats that masonite cardboard piece of garbage, thanks for the idea. :TU: Groceries & helping my friend move nearly broke the plastic panel supports after I removed the spare tire in my EF hatch, 1 more reason CRX's rule.

·
This one's for you, Duck.
Wait, what?
2,304 Posts
makku said:
that material looks stronger than the piece of crappy cardboard that's in my EG sedan. Every once in a while I'll take it out and soak it, then sandwich it under some heavy books on my kitchen floor. I'll let it dry that way and afterwards, it holds it shape pretty well... for about a month. Then it sags again :(

I hate it. This idea gave me some other ideas :) Thanks! :TU:
Ditto, anyone know what that stuff is? Might run to some j-yards and get some measurements to see if i can transpant it or cut it to shape.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Being the carbon fiber ho that I am, I'd eventually like to replace the carpet and the "board" with a nice fitting piece of carbon fiber. Actually, I've had visions of completely building the entire rear cargo area of carbon fiber, but that's aways off--pts for sts2soon, another nice thread you've started here.

-Chet

·
Hondaphile
see above
1,113 Posts
Dave, good write up. I personally am planning on replacing mine with 1/2 inch mdf (no I thought of it months ago Flat....lol) but I'll have to leave a hole in the middle as I'm going to build a box for my two 10"s to go in the spare tire well...but I'll have a trunk again...wooohooo! Hey Dave...you work with wood at all?

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went on a binge 2 years ago and made all the desks, tables, and shelving in my house. I love woodworking, but I HATE staining/finishing. :p

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Link no workie for me... :(

Thought I'd share though...
This a pic of the false floorboard I made for my rex out of 1/8" masonite cause most of the interior hatch bits were missing or mangled when I got the car. It's hard to tell in the pic, but it tucks in under the factory interior panels in the hatch compartment and looks damn near stock I think. There are ribs underneath to reinforce it so it can support even two weeks worth of groceries. lol. I put a little cargo hatch in it too. Keep jumper cables, first aid kit, and a few small tools in there. I'm not a mack at wood working, so cutting the board to the convoluted shape for the wheel wells and such was kinda tricky. Fits like a glove though.

-ic

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry, my server is in and out sometimes.

Your rear deck work looks REALLY nice. Rep4U!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
sts2soon said:
Sorry, my server is in and out sometimes.

Your rear deck work looks REALLY nice. Rep4U!
thank you.

gotta luv the $5.99/piece AutoZone bazooka toobs too. :smile:
not really. they suck. Gonna pull 'em soon. the extra 4 pounds just isn't worth the audio they deliver. LOL.

-ic

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry folks, but I've decided to remove my pics and howto from the site for the time being, due to theft of a friend's car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts