Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i sold my b20, and had to ship it today...After a couple days of figuring out how to ship this dang thing(Which was a block, crank, oil pan, baffle, and oil pick up, so if you have a head attached, or internals, you may want to use another method due to weight)

Supplies:
1. Rubbermaid Tote, with locking lid, the heavier duty, the better. Dont cheap out on this, results could be bad)
2. Cardboard boxes. Anyway you can get them, it doesnt matter, youll just need them to use as extra protection/packing material.
3. Drill.
4. Drill bits.
5. Zip ties.
6. Whatever block you're shipping.

I didnt take as many pictures as i had planned, but this should be a pretty good general guideline. And i was able to ship via ups, although it isnt cheap. 94 dollars, and just for anyway that wants to know, a b20b block, crank, oilpan, baffle and pickup weighs 113lbs :shock: . Way more then i thought. I carried this thing upstairs on my own, and it weighs almost as much as my skinny ass! :rofl:

You will need a tote at least this big.

What you need to do first of all, is take at least two layers of cardboard and lay on the bottom of the tote, cut them to size if necessary. The corners of the block can be sharp, and you do NOT want that thing breaking through the bottom during shipping. This will help pad it.

Then set your block in, in my case i had to lay it on its side to make it fit well.

Next your going to want to take cardboard and put on all four sides of the block, same thing as i said earlier. Corners of blocks are sharp, do not want this thing breaking through.

Since i was also shipping the oil pan, i set it on top, and then used cardboard to fill the voids. Make sure you do this so there isnt room for the engine/other contents to shift around in the tote.

After you have that all in(or i suppose you could do this step earlier), its time to drill some holes in the tote, and the totes lid.

As shown here.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
String the zip ties through the holes

And tighten the zip ties. When tightening the "locking lid", string the zip tie through it so it cannot be opened, and it actually locks it shut "permanently".

Now have fun carrying your 115lb package to your car!

Hope this helps someone out.

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
pretty good dyi
will probably use this method in the future
repped

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
I tried this with a z6 block and Fedex didn't want to ship it for me :TD:

I saw a thread like this which gave me the idea. Oh well, I guess UPS is gonna have to do one day if I try again...

Good write up.

What did you get? 4days ground? I want to see how it gets to your customer. I don't think UPS can lift this to throw over the fense for delivery :lol:

·
Registered
539 Posts
I tried this with a z6 block and Fedex didn't want to ship it for me :TD:

I saw a thread like this which gave me the idea. Oh well, I guess UPS is gonna have to do one day if I try again...

Good write up.

What did you get? 4days ground? I want to see how it gets to your customer. I don't think UPS can lift this to throw over the fense for delivery :lol:
The package will get the shit beat out of it in the hubs though.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
So what its a block lol. Ups ftw
something like a block i would insure it for well over the amount its worth.
that way when it does get fucked up it can be taken care of.

·
Banned
My car...
1,875 Posts
I would have used the super big/thick zipties (Homey Depot) and drilled more holes/used more to secure it.

Shipping price isn't that bad. UPS charged me like $70 to ship a box the same size that only weighed like 20lbs, if even that.
You can also ship Greyhound for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
pics of how it arrived if possible. I don't really buy into the "so what it's a block it's tough" mentality considering it's aluminum.

-Luke

PS if it arrives safe i'll give ya a rep!

·
Registered
114 Posts
ive strapped a motor on a pallet and then wrapped it with shipping wrap before...but the greyhound sounds good for next time...heck ive built a wooden box and shipped it like that too

·
Registered
Crx
418 Posts
If you have a power drill, 2x4's and chippboard can build a nice box for real cheap also. you need a saw too i guess.. curious to see how it held up!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts