Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How To Resurface a Flywheel

I need to replace the clutch, and I want a “new” clutch surface on my flywheel so the clutch will operate problem free.

The first step is to have the flywheel cleaned of oil , grease and grime.
This flywheel is in decent shape minimal warp and few hot spots

I found my Ford Dark Blue Spray Paint!!

Next is to mount the flywheel to the machine
Move the flywheel under the grinding stone, and touch off….

Each pass is only .002 -.003 deep per cut

See the sparks?

Now that we have a good surface for the clutch disc to mate too…

One last thing to do is to knock in the pressure plate alignment pins

All done…

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Its handy if you have a flywheel resurfacing machine.... I doubt many people have one hanging around. Plus I think super lightweight flywheels are the way to go unless you are driving a very heavy street car or a non traction limited drag car.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joel.. you are correct.

But some just like to know how some machine shop procedures are done.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Its handy if you have a flywheel resurfacing machine.... I doubt many people have one hanging around. Plus I think super lightweight flywheels are the way to go unless you are driving a very heavy street car or a non traction limited drag car.
Your right but in another way its good for people to see how parts get machined so they understand what is happening rather than "oh it gets magically cut perfectly flat". I doubt many here are that stupid though.

Joel.. you are correct.

But some just like to know how some machine shop procedures are done.
Thanks for posting it up man, next one you should do pressing in piston pins.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
As always, interesting and informative post. :TU:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
What is your feeling on lightening of stock flywheels? Such as shaving the back of them.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since This is a flat flywheel, Ill dig around and see about finding a stepped one and do another write up on that style flywheel.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,110 Posts
this is probably the best noob weve ever had just pop in and actually be worth his weight

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guys!!

I have been posting mainly the simple ones.

I have some that are more involved and in depth, but the 10k word limit and 8 image post means I have to hack it into a few posts. But Ill get them all up over time.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Thanks Guys!!

I have been posting mainly the simple ones.

I have some that are more involved and in depth, but the 10k word limit and 8 image post means I have to hack it into a few posts. But Ill get them all up over time.
haha youve allready got sig material. Very nice keep em coming man looking forward to it.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Since This is a flat flywheel, Ill dig around and see about finding a stepped one and do another write up on that style flywheel.
Yeah I was about to ask about how do you find out about what you need to step the flywheel. I didn't know if there was a machinist cook book per say.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are some reference books out they, few and far between, I saw one once on flywheels it may have been 50 pages.

With flywheels you measure before you cut. Best to measure 3 or 4 spots and get a decent average of the step, so much the better if when you measure down if you have a spot the clutch disc did not run on.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
This makes me wonder if I could ghetto grind down my crank pulley on my b18a1.... maybe a larger grinding bit on my die grinder while the engine is idling.....

Damn thing is broken and off balance as hell, and no machine shops around here are willing/capable of doing it for me.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This makes me wonder if I could ghetto grind down my crank pulley on my b18a1.... maybe a larger grinding bit on my die grinder while the engine is idling.....

Damn thing is broken and off balance as hell, and no machine shops around here are willing/capable of doing it for me.
That does not sound safe to even attempt.

Why not just get a replacement balancer bolt it on and go?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
They are made of very hard brittle material, so they chip and crack easily. Since they are off 20 year old engines that means they are expensive if they are in good condition. Also no real point in having the weight of a 3 pully system when all I have is an alternator.

Honestly for my engine I would totally take one of those single pulley aluminum ones, but they are spendy now too.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Then get a ati pulley. One belt and done. Also will help with engine vibrations better than any oem offering.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts