Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
EF9 DC2
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First cleaned the whole light. Then buff the lens out. Turtle wax Scratch Out works great and is priced right.

Then heat the oven to 170 degrees

Set it on a big pizza pan. Just don't set it on the rack. I set the timer for 15 minutes. Now it's kinda warm and ya got about 3 or 4 minutes to "gently" start prying the lens from the housing. Start at the bottom of the light get 2 or 3 points to let go and put it back in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes. Take it out and gently pry more of the places where it snaps together. I have a dull butter knife that works good for this.

DON'T PRY AROUND THIS AREA IT WILL SNAP!!

This is what you have when it's cooked up.
Now on 1990,91 which these are there are the cool lens with the red stripes. These are cool as it gets when the tail lights where new. But over the years water, dirt and rust from the reverse chrome metal surround make them look funky.
Well they come out, they also have that mastic holding them on 2 sides. Get hair dryer that gets really hot like 1800 watts. But don't let your wife know, lol. These lenses have 4 little arms on the reverse lens, you can see 2 and 2 are buried in the mastic. Use the hair dryer to heat the mastic and "gently" lift them out. Same deal with the larger lens.

Be careful when you clean the lenses they scratch easily. I ran warm water over them first, then blew them off with compressed air. Then dawn, micro fiber cloth and a soft tooth brush. If theres still a ghost haze use the mild buffing compound and they'll be like new.

Tape up the housings carefully and spray with bright silver.

I used window ribbon tape around the edge of the main lens and place in the housings, back in the oven for 10 minutes. Take it out and carefully squeeze it back in the housing. It will take a few times in the oven but make sure it's back together Tight!

If you're careful, patient this is the reward, a kick ass set of tails!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts