Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit off topic but what is easiest way to remove a bolt that is rusted and stuck without taking to garage and pay them to do it? It's for the shock removal so I can put lowering springs. I've heard people use some sprays or heat them up but on the shocks, there is a sticker which says do not heat, what does this mean? The ones I can't remove are brake in line and damper fork bolts for the front and for the rear, the LCA bolt. It's for a UK Honda Civic MB3.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Bit off topic but what is easiest way to remove a bolt that is rusted and stuck without taking to garage and pay them to do it? It's for the shock removal so I can put lowering springs. I've heard people use some sprays or heat them up but on the shocks, there is a sticker which says do not heat, what does this mean? The ones I can't remove are brake in line and damper fork bolts for the front and for the rear, the LCA bolt. It's for a UK Honda Civic MB3.
Get a can of penetrating oil and give it a healthy dose of it. Let it sit for a few hours to a couple days then get a big ass breaker bar and a thick walled pipe and use your body weight.

The sticker is there because the strut is compressed gas. So with my limited knowledge pf physics and chemistry I would say the heat from a torch could cause the strut to heat up and go boom

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,432 Posts
No need to unbolt the lower damper bolt if you are just swapping springs. Did it on my 91 Civic and 93 Civic.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
let some oil soak in there for a few days, then it it with an impact.

anything else will result in a rounded head and much cursing

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Those bolts are siezed solid to the sleeve of the bushing.

The best thing you can do is penetrate for days in advance and then try with an impact on forward then reverse. Back and forth. Over and over until hopefully they will shock loose.

50% of them you will have to cut out with a sawzall. Might as well get some new rear lower control arms before you start.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I ended up spraying mines down with some pb blaster for 3 days.
I started spraying when i order the springs and shocks.
Then when the time came they came out pretty easy.
But most of the time these bolts break so be prep for that.
And a little heat on the bolt head wont effect the shock much but it can effect the bushing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts