Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
ej2
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Non Vtec Sohc ZC (D16a6).

The head was milled .040 and I am using a Y8 head gasket.

I slid the belt off the cam gear to avoid messing with the tensioner.

After reinstalling the head and setting the cam gear to TDC, I noticed there was slack in the belt (due to the lowered height of the head now).

My question is what would be the proper way of taking the slack out of the timing belt now?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,104 Posts
the same way you would per fsm

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Was just gunna say the same, counter clockwise turns by hand 6-9 to seat belt.

·
Registered
ej2
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was just gunna say the same, counter clockwise turns by hand 6-9 to seat belt.
I just loosened the tensioner.

Do I Turn the crank slightly (counter-clockwise) to remove the slack out of the belt, and then just tighten the tensioner?

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
:TU:

I would rep you so hard if I didnt already get you recently Slo.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Changing the distance between the crank and cam will retard your mechanical timing. If you tension up the "untensionable" side of the belt., like with a B series front side tensioner, you also retard the timing. Subarus come stock with the ability to adjust tension on the "untensionable" side to change timing.

Back to your question, get an adjustable cam gear to rotate the cam back to proper TDC and use the stock tensioner to eat up the leftovers.

·
Registered
ej2
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changing the distance between the crank and cam will retard your mechanical timing. If you tension up the "untensionable" side of the belt., like with a B series front side tensioner, you also retard the timing. Subarus come stock with the ability to adjust tension on the "untensionable" side to change timing.

Back to your question, get an adjustable cam gear to rotate the cam back to proper TDC and use the stock tensioner to eat up the leftovers.
It's only retarted one degree (.039= 1 degree).

I would like to stay with the stock cam gear as I have heard of cam gears ( bisimoto, eagle, etc) having the wrong marks.

This would create even more drama.

The crank was left at TDC when I took the head off. When I reinstalled it, I put the cam gear at TDC.

I slid the belt back on, loosened the tensioner, rotated the crank shaft counter clockwise so that the slack was taken up and tighten it back up.

Are you saying I would have to get a cam gear to remove more slack?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
If you want to remove the slack and have proper mechanical timing you need to make corrections for the change in deck height.

Its up to you to decide what yo have to do.

If I was cheap/lazy I would just run it retarded a degree.

Just had an afterthought. If your tensioner is maxed out, you wont be able to remove the slack. Get a shorter timing belt if that is the case. Then you can decided if you want to run an adjustable cam gear or just run it retarded a degree.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts