Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
"Wild Bush Appeared!"
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would just like to know how to read compression ratios. I get the general idea, but how do you read them? Lets say I have an engine that has a compression ratio of 12.0:1. What is the 12.0 and what is the 1?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I would just like to know how to read compression ratios. I get the general idea, but how do you read them? Lets say I have an engine that has a compression ratio of 12.0:1. What is the 12.0 and what is the 1?

"It is the ratio between the volume of the cylinder, when the piston is at the bottom of its stroke, and the volume when the piston is at the top of its stroke. A high compression ratio allows an engine to extract more mechanical energy from a given mass of air-fuel mixture due to its higher thermal efficiency. High ratios place increased oxygen and fuel molecules into a reduced space; thus, they allow increased power at the moment of ignition and the extraction of more useful work from that power by expanding the hot gas to a greater degree. Higher compression ratios, however, also make engine knocking, also known as detonation or pre-ignition, more likely and this can reduce an engine's efficiency and even physically damage it."

Info from wikipedia

Google=> Search=> Compression Ratio=> wikipedia compression ratio.;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts