Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
DelSol
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i wanted to turbo my motor, how would i pick the correct size turbo for my motor? Is there a math equation for this? i don't want to pick a HP goal. I have a sleeved 85mm b20 with itr head and a max redline of 10k. I'm not asking for hand outs but just to be pointed into the right direction.

·
Registered
38 Posts
you can download this as a pdf
Maximum Boost - Designing, Testing and Installing Turbocharged Systems by Corky Bell
with it you can use compressor maps and see how your motor matches up to the turbo in theory

·
Registered
DelSol
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you can download this as a pdf
Maximum Boost - Designing, Testing and Installing Turbocharged Systems by Corky Bell
with it you can use compressor maps and see how your motor matches up to the turbo in theory
where's the pdf???

·
Registered
DelSol
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Use the boost calculator by Turbo by garrett / honeywell
gives me a slight idea but it's not helping me understand why some type of t3 would be the best chocie for my motor i really want to grasp a great understanding of what i need before i go out and buy a turbo

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
LOL This guy^^^

Squirrel Performance

IF you dont know how to read a compressor map, then nothing is going to look right.

whats your power goal\
What CR is your engine?

Personlly, if its sleeved, I would look to STC Silver Surfer or Reaper

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Go to turbosbygarrett.com and find a turbo that has a decent hp range then get the compressor map for it on the same site, bring it back here and look in the archived section at how to read compressor maps.

Kinda time consuming to do more than one turbo but it will tell you when it should start spooling. Also t3/t4 is a hybrid turbo with a t3 flange

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
What do you want to do with the car??? What type of racing?
2x
Everyone goals are different.
One person may want a high reving drag car, while another may want something that spools fast and is fun for dd on the streets and freeway.

So how do u wanna drive it? And what is your enf goal on power?

·
Registered
DelSol
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Street\track car my block is sleeved by Benson. I really don't have a power goal I'm keeping my ac no matter what so if I chose anything bigger than a t3 I'll probably go with a twin scroll set up. My cr at the moment is about 12.5:1. Then again I might just look into an AFI kit that's ac friendly with a ball bearing turbo. I really would like to learn math behind turbo sizing thou.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
LOL This guy^^^

Squirrel Performance

IF you dont know how to read a compressor map, then nothing is going to look right.

whats your power goal\
What CR is your engine?

Personlly, if its sleeved, I would look to STC Silver Surfer or Reaper
This site is great. Also, there are two compressor map reading stickies I'm the FI forum here. Compressor maps are easy to find. I also have an excel model that I made to read compressor maps. Zero_daze has one as well.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,943 Posts
This site is great. Also, there are two compressor map reading stickies I'm the FI forum here. Compressor maps are easy to find. I also have an excel model that I made to read compressor maps. Zero_daze has one as well.
WTF???? Share that shit, dude!!!!

·
Registered
1993 Del Sol
906 Posts
look in the FAQ of this forum. there is a plethora of information, some of which will show you how to read a compressor map and how to figure how much air your turbo needs to flow for a given power number.

before you do anything, you need to do these this every time you build a turbo set up.

1. figure out what you want to do with the car most of the time
2. pick a HP goal
3. pick a turbo

You don’t just go pick a turbo because it looks pretty. You want to know how much power it can make, and where it’s most efficient to get you were you want to be as fast as possible. 500whp is fast, but will be slower than 300whp on the street because of traction. Sure you can use a 500whp turbo on the street, trim down the boost to net you 300whp, but you will be waiting around to build boost while that 300whp with a properly sized twin scroll turbo blazes by you. That’s another thing, power doesn’t mean much either. Powerband means much more. You get the idea…

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
With 12.5:1 CR , He doesnt have to look too far..

I would look to a STC Silver Surfer. Quick response and will put down alot more then you can handle with that CR. Better be using some E85 or race gas

Silver Surfer Turbo Special - Honda-Tech

Heres my Surfer, Ask any surfer owner, you will not hear 1 complaint.

EDIT: Do a search for STC reaper or silver surfer and see if you crack a smile.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
WTF???? Share that shit, dude!!!!
I would share it, but it's pretty crude and not user friendly and is centered around my build which isn't the average Vitara build. However, it's loosely based off of Zer0Daze's model which can be found in post #9 here:

http://www.d-series.org/forums/forced-induction/160931-how-read-compressor-maps-size-up-turbo.html

Be sure to rep him if you use it, it has a lot of compressor maps in it and must have taken a lot of effort to create.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts