Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to resurface an Aluminum Head For a MLS head gasket.

I use a Comec Auto I 1000 High Speed Milling Machine with CBN insert for Cast Iron OR a PCD Insert for Aluminum Heads
This machine is double adjustable, I can adjust the spindle speed and the table travel speed to achieve the surface finish that is required.
Auto I 1000 CBN Surfacer

The first thing to do is check the valve cover surface for any burrs and remove them.

Next is to mount the head in the machine and check the level of the head in both directions.

Then the other way, this head was not out that bad from the last time it was milled.

I did a “getting to know you” pass of .002 to see how square the head was. This was done on a faster setting.
Notice the upper and left side of the head is dull, this is a low spot. The head was not index properly and did not maintain a proper “square” to the valve cover surface.

I made another cut of .003, I sped up the cutter, and slowed the table speed.

This is the end result.

Another different view.

Now with a proper surface, and the head re-squared, The customer will have no issues with a MLS gasket sealing, and also having a closer to equal combustion chamber size.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TAB.. Yes that would probably be best. But I do not know of a fixture that would allow for that set up.

Even the winfield fixtures set up from the side or VC rail.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is something to look into and a valid question to ask.

Just sorry I do not have a better answer for you.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
some of these honda heads are a pain in the ass to clam down and put the supports in place to keep them from vibrating while the stone is passing over it.

Good job bogus, nice clean head an MLS gasket shouldnt have an issue sealing on that.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Honestly, it wouldn't be that hard to fixture them.

SOHC heads would be a little more difficult simply because you don't ave two paralllel journals to prevent rotation, but that problem wouldn't be too hard to solve either.

Then again, I have no idea what the "bed" of a typical surfacing machine looks like since I only deal with CNC machining centers.

Again, thanks for sharing stuff like this.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
some of these honda heads are a pain in the ass to clam down and put the supports in place to keep them from vibrating while the stone is passing over it.

Good job bogus, nice clean head an MLS gasket shouldnt have an issue sealing on that.
Sounds like a Berco segment stone grinder, I have run one of those in the past and it doesn't like small heads, but is great on big diesels with pre combustion buckets.

I was looking at one of those before I settled on the Comec

Honestly, it wouldn't be that hard to fixture them.

SOHC heads would be a little more difficult simply because you don't ave two paralllel journals to prevent rotation, but that problem wouldn't be too hard to solve either.

Then again, I have no idea what the "bed" of a typical surfacing machine looks like since I only deal with CNC machining centers.

Again, thanks for sharing stuff like this.
No a jig to level one specific head, or family of heads would not be to hard to do.

The trick would have it adjustable for most heads... The ability to go from Honda to Mazda to BMW

The bed is simple enough and same with the parallels Just machined T bolt slots

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats the next machine I want to get.....

Front me the $28K and Ill be happy to test it out on your block Fodo

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Sounds like a Berco segment stone grinder, I have run one of those in the past and it doesn't like small heads, but is great on big diesels with pre combustion buckets.

I was looking at one of those before I settled on the Comec

No a jig to level one specific head, or family of heads would not be to hard to do.

The trick would have it adjustable for most heads... The ability to go from Honda to Mazda to BMW

The bed is simple enough and same with the parallels Just machined T bolt slots
Oh, I agree. Was thinking mainly OHC cylinder heads as there really isn't an easy reference like the cam bore(s) on OHV heads.

I think it's something I could do if I had access to enough different cylinder heads, but cost might be the big issue.

Jig design is one part of my job that I kind of enjoy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts