Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heres a simple way to rig up a Catch Can for oil blow-by gases, so that your not putting oily/spent gases into your intake, robbing power. Hey, every little bit of power counts, right?

Disclaimer: This is probably not smog legal(I live in FL so I don't care), so do this at your own risk. Don't blame me if you blow up your motor after installing this! :D

Updated pictures on page 4!!

Parts:
3" diameter PVC piping. ~$7.00 for a 6' section.
(2) 3" PVC end caps. ~$2.75 ea.
(2) 1/2" hose barbs. ~$0.75 ea.
(4) hose clamps. ~$4.00 / 10 clamps
6 feet or so of 1/2" ID tubing. ~$0.75 / Foot.

So for around $20 you can have the materials.
Tools:
Hack saw
PVC cement
Drill [press]
1/2" drill bit

Onto the process.

1. Gather your materials.

2. Figure out how close you want your caps to be together. They go in about 1 3/4-7/8".

3. Mark and cut.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
4. Mark the center of the cap on ONE of the caps(the top cap. for ventalation.

5. Pop a small hole in the top. Only about 1/8" is needed.

6. Slip on one of the caps, all the way on. I stood on mine. *note- You can put cement on this if you want, but it's not really needed. It's such a tight fit, no oil is gonna leak.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
7. Measure the inside of the cap again, and measure the remaining piping from the capped end. This comes down to personal decision- How much gap you want in between the caps.

On this can, I opted for zero gap. So I marked it, and cut accordingly.

8. A quick blow job to remove the shavings. ;)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
9. Then, again if you want to cement it- go for it, slip on the the other cap.

10 Bust out the hose barbs, mark the can where you want them to go, and drill them out.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
12. Clean it and your done with the construction!

13. If you want color, tape off the barbs, hang it up(I just shoved some wire in the vent hole.), and spray it with lots of thin coats.

14. Final product. Heres the 2 models I've made so far.

I can make anyone a can with any design/paint you choose. PM me if interested.

Comments welcome.
-Andrew

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Thats awesome, let us know if it works for sure!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope. I decided not to.
I've heard of people putting Steel Wool in there to kind of 'baffle' the oil, so it doesnt splash, but I just didn't feel like it was really necessary, I mean, it's not like you have a full quart of oil sloshing around in there.. just a little bit that comes out with the vapor.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, there won't be too much vacuum, because I vented the can to the atmosphere. Hopefully it will do ok.

I've got clear hoses that I'm gonna use, so it will show me if it's sucking oil into the intake!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
ok, i like that you did it yourself, but what is the point of a catch can?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
do what? i'm sorry but i don't get that...the return line on a turbo'd car? wouln't that be an oil line?

·
Registered
269 Posts
do what? i'm sorry but i don't get that...the return line on a turbo'd car? wouln't that be an oil line?
A catch can goes inline of the PCV system. Because of the greatly increase PCV pressure on forced induction setups, a catch can greatly reduces the amount of oil that ends up in your induction system.

·
D-series WTF?!?!
Dyno GT Racing Bike
3,674 Posts
Catch can reducing a bog boom basically a risk in the internals or the motor and running boost that shit gets hot and steams up the oil so its an optional device to help or from preventing a blowned motor/Turbo setup

·
Registered
269 Posts
Catch can reducing a bog boom basically a risk in the internals or the motor and running boost that shit gets hot and steams up the oil so its an optional device to help or from preventing a blowned motor/Turbo setup
Bog boom... is that anything like swamp foot?

I'm not sure what you've heard, but a catch can is not really used as an engine saving device... it's really more of a power adder... the less oil you have in the intake charge, the more power you'll make.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.