Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets say i have some forged srp pistons that are 10:1 but of course thats to much compression for a built turbocharged d series engine, what whould i have to do to use these and bring the compression down. this is a d16z6 engine, and i can get a smoking deal on these pistons like half the price of what they are normally, all i want is for my compression to be around 9:1 or near there, can i use a stackable head gasket enough to go from 10:1 to 9:1 or 9:5?? planning on running around 18psi, any insight whould help alot

Forgot to mention they are .20 over bore, and i guess im asking is there a head gasket that will bring down the compression to a safe number for hi boost? or anything else to do to bring it down

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i was searching head gaskets and i found this one,
Honda Civic Si SOHC 75.5MM, .120" MLS D15/16

now if i went with the .120 thickness, then i whould be around 9:2 im guessing, im new to this and im trying here lol, and is that right, i have to go with a 75.5mm one with my block bored .20 over for the pistons on a d16z6?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,239 Posts
.120" thick puts you at about 8.4:1 compression
.080" = 9.0:1

But with either, you sure the headgasket gonna hold the boost? I think not.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
according to the website they are turbo cometic head gaskets, ill go with something even thinner if i can get right around 9:5 and i plan to use arp head studs too

·
Registered
406 Posts
i would be a little leary about running that much boost on a thick gasket because it could blow out, but if detonation isn't an issue it should be cool.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think im gonna run the .50 thick one, that should be me somewhere around 9:5, ill be straight with that and a good tune

·
Registered
30 Posts
The std head gasket should be Honda p/n 12251P2J004 but I use this p/n 12251P01004 ...as it is twice as thick...(did not measure)..good luck

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
10.1 isnt bad @ all for boost! Just takes a good tune and you will have best of both worlds!

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
i used a spacer gasket on my last put together. the spacer gasket was about 0.020 thick. it dropped it about a half point. it was made by rock gasket. then i just used the stock size y8 gasket. killed my detonation problems.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just noticed these pistons are rated V
V= Nitrous
T= TUrbo
u= limited nitrous turbo

So i guess these pistons are out of the question sesne they are rated for Nitrous???

·
Registered
1998 Acura Integra
736 Posts
Read some of the sticky's about engines. 9:5??? that is a 1.8:1 which wouldn't run and 9:2 is 4.5:1 compression ratio. None of this is making sense. And you are going to have to research more if you are planning on building a bad ass car because you seem to not have a lot of knowledge. That is fine and im not hating but i think you definately need to research before you start this so you know what you are doing. Everyone starts somewhere so good luck.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah yeah, people can't keep colons and decimal points straight when talking about compression ratios. Do what I do and use context clues. I think this guy knows what his options are now.

Anyone know about the pistons? The only thing I can guess is that the nitrous rated ones would be able to handle the most sh*t. TUV is a sequence and V is the highest letter. I've never shopped aftermarket pistons though(not that I don't dream).

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just becuase i dont know how to use a compression caulculator right doesnt mean i dont know how to work on a motor, i have installed my own HMT kit and pulled low 13's at 10 psi for 9 months before i took it off to get ready for this project. So dont shit until you get on the pot

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
boostcraze said:
Just becuase i dont know how to use a compression caulculator right doesnt mean i dont know how to work on a motor, i have installed my own HMT kit and pulled low 13's at 10 psi for 9 months before i took it off to get ready for this project. So dont shit until you get on the pot
this kid's from h-t....

he wasnt saying u cant use a compression calculator right, he was saying u need to know the difference between a period and colon....

4.5 = 4.5:1

4:5 = 1.25:1 c/r

1 - 15 of 15 Posts