Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looks like my build is about to take a giant dump. Took a look at everything today, a good once over to make sure i wasnt leaking mad oil or something. Pulled the dip stick no oil on the stick.. Oil light wasnt coming on and seemed fine, so i must have been just below it and gotten lucky. Question i have now is, where is it going? my father said he sees oil smoke at high rpms with a load, But not without a load on. I also did a compression test and leakdown results were:

compression test:
cyl compression
1 225
2 280
3 215
4 235

Leakdown test:
cyl leakage percentage at 100psi.
1 72%
2 3%
3 76%
4 59%

What do you guy think? i really cant tear the stupid thing apart, i didnt build the thing i had the machine shop bore and install the pistons so they must have installed the rings upside down or something because im getting insane ammounts of blow by and oil usage. (i have probibibally 3k on the build all together). What should i do?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
sounds like valve seals to me. thats what caused me to spin a bearing with my old motor.....no light evar and no oil the rod knock told me there was no oil:(

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Your rings did not seat except on the one cylinder with the 3% leakdown.

Did YOU confirm your ring end gaps? Did the shop know and follow Honda's honing procedures?

Yes, your engine is going to poop the bed soon. Time to pull it apart, measure stuff, ad them probably get a bottle brush hone and re-ring the sucker if the cylinders aren't out of spec.

I would imagine that if all your cylinders had 3% leakdown, you'd about crap yourself. :p

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your rings did not seat except on the one cylinder with the 3% leakdown.

Did YOU confirm your ring end gaps? Did the shop know and follow Honda's honing procedures?

Yes, your engine is going to poop the bed soon. Time to pull it apart, measure stuff, ad them probably get a bottle brush hone and re-ring the sucker if the cylinders aren't out of spec.

I would imagine that if all your cylinders had 3% leakdown, you'd about crap yourself. :p
yeah probibally, i have alot of really wierd idle issues as well. vacuume seems ok, at -17 at idle (its steady and comes back immediately after snapping the throttle, so they are good somewhat atleast) Its misfiring at any range above idle (not a ton, but its noticeable when you hold it at 2k rpm's. I also have the cam timing at stock (as in not retarded or advanced). Should i advance the cam timing? i did mill the head .028 thou but im not sure if thats enough to cause a large issue. My ignition timing is dead on i know that, ive checked that so many god damn times..

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Do a dry and wet compression test. If compression bump up during the wet test than it's pretty much your rings.
I did a wet test as well, and it bumped up the compression, but im not sold on it because it also bumped the good cylinder (with 3% leakage) up to like 340 psi, my gauge couldnt read it after 300...

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
was this engine tuned? and how long was the engine run on a basemap? (if it was)doesnt sound like what im thinking, but maybe if u ran a basemap for a while, fuel washed out the cylinder walls, causing the rings to go super fast. but that one with 3% makes me not think so.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
was this engine tuned? and how long was the engine run on a basemap? (if it was)doesnt sound like what im thinking, but maybe if u ran a basemap for a while, fuel washed out the cylinder walls, causing the rings to go super fast. but that one with 3% makes me not think so.
It never was basemapped, its been tuned by me 100% from the start on crome and a chipped p28. When i was first starting the car i had alot of trouble with the firing order and such, fuel washed down everything so that may be the case..

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
There you go...as others said the rings never set right. Pull 'um, re-ring, re-hone...BAM, compression!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts