Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
This one's for you, Duck.
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so you're tired of your OEM shifter's throw. What can you do about it? Replace it! There are several companies out there to choose from with various models that include adjustable throw lengths to get things just where you like them. For this install, I'll be putting a DC Sports short shifter into my integra. There may be more or fewer steps depending on your car, so be prepared to improvise if need be. Having a Hayne's manual or FSM couldn't hurt.

On with the show.....

There won't be any pics on this first half 'cuz I forgot my camera was in the car until my buddy pointed it out. The after pictures are pretty much the same as the before, just without the blingin' new shifter :p

Time needed: < 1 hour

Tools needed:

Ratchet and wrenches (10 and 12mm)
Needle nose pliers or circlip remover tool
Jack and stands
Phillips screwdriver

Step 1: Remove the center console. Then remove the rubber boots around the shifter.

Step 2: Remove whatever is holding the ball in place. Depending on what type car you have, you may have to only remove a circlip, or might have to take out a set screw or bolt. This turned out to be a little confusing since hte included directions said remove a bolt, and there wasn't one to remove :lol:

Step 3: Jack up the front of the car and put it on stands.

Step 4: Once under the car, locate the shift linkage and remove the bolt at the bottom of the shifter (should be either a 10mm or 12mm bolt). There is a nut and bolt to this, so be sure to have an extra hand on the other side so that you can be able to take it off without just spinning forever. Just let the bar down to the ground and proceed to taking off the torque tube bracket.

Step 5: To remove the bracket take out two 12mm bolts, and the whole assembly will now drop down.

Step 6 (optional): To make things easier, I removed the torque tube as well. This involved removing one more bolt from the tranny right next to the shift linkage. This allowed me to work on it out from under the car. :TU:

Step 7: Remove the circlip or bolt to allow the shifter ball to come out. Also remove the gasket and hold on to it for the reinstall.

Step 8: Pull out the old shifter and gaze in awe at the um, blahness of it. :roll:

Be sure to hold on to the ball basket, as you'll be needing it for reinstalling as well.

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All those happy little OEM Honda parts, and the obligatory bloody knuckle. :lol:

Step 9: Place the ball basket on your new shifter. Applying some grease is a good idea too. Make the ball last longer and make shifting a little smoother. :TU:

Ahhhh, looking better already :cool:

Step 10: Pop your new shifter in place, and replace the gasket and circlip/bolt

Yay new stuff!! :TU:

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boo old stuff :TD:

Step 11: Reinstall your torque tube, and then put the bracket bolts back in.

Step 12: Now bring your shift arm back up, and replace the bolt and nut being sure to use the suplied hardware (if any) that comes with your shifter.

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Step 13: Let the car back down, you're done under there. :) Get back inside and replace the rubber boots.

Step 14: Now you can replace your center console and put the shift knob back on.

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

And that's it!! You're done!! This little mod has greatly reduced my throw lengths by more than half. It's like driving a G35 now (minus 6th gear :roll: ). Everything is really tight, and make shifting into 5th a lot easier with someone in the passenger seat. :wink:

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ryan89crx said:
excellent write-up!! i will definately need this.

btw, nice shirt :smile:
lol I'll probably be putting it to use soon :roll:

Planning on going backpacking soon. Might just do a two day trip somewhere...

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
modsHXcivi said:
nice job/write up Foo....now get some urthane bushing to complete the job :TU:
SHHH

That's later :lol:

I'll probably be doing the same thing with some front/rear sway bars and probably replacing everything then. STS is going to be so much fun now :)

R

·
0 Posts
not to be mean but i don't think anyone needs a write up on how to put in a short shifter. i think its pretty self explanitory. but its a good write up if somebody needed it.

D

·
0 Posts
Props for a good write up man. Thats pretty cool when a guy will take time out of his life to post up some shit just to be helpful to his D-Series brethren. Not to mention I needed that write up as I will be doing the same soon!

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll do all the stupid write-ups you guys want :lol:

Makes life easier for me when I'm writing/doing them :roll:

A

·
0 Posts
nice.. theres a big difference too when you pop in those urethane bushings.. it'll feel more direct.. more precise i guess.. and looks nice as well..

·
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
4thGEN said:
do a write up on how you got that shirt! :TU:
Well, it went kinda like this:

Step 1: come home

Step 2: Mom hands me shirt

Step 3: Wear and enjoy

1 - 20 of 28 Posts