Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years, I've tried to get those bolts on the hot side of the turbo to stay put. No special washers did the trick. Here is what I do now. I remove my downpipe several times a year for engine service so it gives me plenty of trials to see what happens. I started taking notes.

Start with McMaster Carr part number 90373A103
https://www.mcmaster.com/90373a103

Drill a small hole through the head for safety wire. I use a 3/32" bit. A good drill press is invaluable for this step. Put a nut on the end to level the bolt on a piece of scrap metal and use lots of coolant or lube on the bit.

20181221_083657 by rabidflickr, on Flickr
20181221_083412 by rabidflickr, on Flickr

Use a regular flat washer and some anti seize on the threads. Torque to 28 lb/ft with your best harbor freight wrench. This is the setting that I've experimented with. Any tighter and you'll stretch the bolt. Any looser and you'll have a loose bolt after a few heat cycles.

Safety wire. I use .035" stainless welding wire. It doesn't twist well but handles the heat and doesn't rust. Just make sure you have it so that if the bolt starts unscrewing, the wire gets tighter. Look at the top bolt on this 5 bolt flange.

20190112_130039 by rabidflickr, on Flickr

Camera flash makes rust show like a black light in a cheap motel. Anyways, I don't even use a gasket. If it leaks, it's so minor that I don't notice. The manifold bolts are a less precise affair. I just use whatever stainless bolt, put on the anti seize, and tighen them to whatever my finger can stand. Then I tap the wrench with a hammer a few times. I have a tig welder so I weld 1/8" rod between the bolt heads. I have cut that off to remove the bolts later. But they stay tight! You could drill holes and do safety wire.

20190112_130052 by rabidflickr, on Flickr

·
Registered
813 Posts
funny you post this ,those bolts always be playin.

nice action I like it .

what I found that has worked for me on the manifold flange ,

use "good" bolts ,make them normal tight and then use a punch and stake the nuts to bolts.

haven't lost any since .

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nice work! I hate safety wiring anything haha.

Continuing to share, here's what I've done before:

Build some studs out of good quality stainless bolts. Place a die on the bolt then cut the length you need using a band saw, clean the cut area with a file then run the die off the stud. Repeat for however many you need.

Insert into the turbo until they bottom, then using a centerpunch, stake the stud at 3-4 points around it, deforming the turbo housing metal trying not to hit the stud.

Then, use these lock nuts:

https://www.aftfasteners.com/two-way-reversible-lock-nuts/

and snug em down. Stays put way longer than regular bolts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts