Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
01 Ford Focus SE
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a set of D16A1 pistons, I got them for cheap. I am going to use them with my D16Z6 block and head. I was wondering how I can drop my c/r from 13.5:1 to around 12 or lower. what would be the best way to do so. I want to use my Z6 block. Also, another reason why I want to drop it is because 13.5:1 is really high. Everyone at my work is telling me that it will bend or break rods with no problem. Is anyone using these pistons in there d motor with around the same c/r?

·
Registered
531 Posts
T-Bone said:
I just bought a set of D16A1 pistons, I got them for cheap. I am going to use them with my D16Z6 block and head. I was wondering how I can drop my c/r from 13.5:1 to around 12 or lower. what would be the best way to do so. I want to use my Z6 block. Also, another reason why I want to drop it is because 13.5:1 is really high. Everyone at my work is telling me that it will bend or break rods with no problem. Is anyone using these pistons in there d motor with around the same c/r?
It should be 11.5:1 or so in a z6 block...what compression calc are you using? Make sure piston to deck height you set at .040.

I have 12.25:1 compression in my y8 right now and i KNOW that it's less on a z6 because of the comb. chambers. A lot of people run these pistons as long as you use a stock gasket and dont mill your head/block insanely you'll be fine.

Vince

·
Registered
934 Posts
ok assuming you have the P29 pistons that bumps you up to 13.6:1 You might want to sell those and get the older PG6B pistons (D16a1 87-88) which would put you at about 11.6:1 which would be as close to 12:1 as you can get without using JE pistons. If you cant find those, the PM3 pistons would also bring you lower 11's.

·
Registered
01 Ford Focus SE
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats what the compression calc said, its link is on one of the post. 11.5:1 is right where I want to be. they are from an 89 integra so i think they are the P29's.

·
Registered
934 Posts
ok if your deck height/gasket and piston combo assuming the P29's, your still at about 13.6:1. Switching out those pistons with PG6B pistons would bring you to your desired CR. I dont see where the problem is other than selling the P29's and getting the PG6B's.

·
Registered
531 Posts
T-Bone said:
thats what the compression calc said, its link is on one of the post. 11.5:1 is right where I want to be. they are from an 89 integra so i think they are the P29's.
any mill? bore? Just stock p29's in stock z6? Gasket?

·
Registered
531 Posts
compression with that setup in a z6 produces anywhere from 11.6 to 12.4 depending on gasket.

A6 gasket gives 11.6
Z6 gasket gives 12.1
Y8 gasket gives 12.4

·
Registered
01 Ford Focus SE
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AgentJam said:
any mill? bore? Just stock p29's in stock z6? Gasket?
no bore or anyhting like that. just stock P29's in a stock Z6. I am not sure what head gasket to get. I am thinking on going with an A6 so that I have more around 11.5:1. there are going to be some other small things that I am going to do like, build up the head and stuff.

·
Registered
531 Posts
T-Bone said:
no bore or anyhting like that. just stock P29's in a stock Z6. I am not sure what head gasket to get. I am thinking on going with an A6 so that I have more around 11.5:1. there are going to be some other small things that I am going to do like, build up the head and stuff.
Good, go with the A6 gasket and then get an aftermarket cam to lower your dynamic compression. Try crower stage 2 cam i hear it's da bomb!!!

if you can't afford port work i'd suggest trying it yourself. I may try it on my spare Y8 head just for the heck of it!

Vince

·
Registered
01 Ford Focus SE
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AgentJam said:
Good, go with the A6 gasket and then get an aftermarket cam to lower your dynamic compression. Try crower stage 2 cam i hear it's da bomb!!!

if you can't afford port work i'd suggest trying it yourself. I may try it on my spare Y8 head just for the heck of it!

Vince
how much is the crower stage 2 came, also how much of a diff. is it from the stock cam? i dont think that I can afford a P&P so I would probably do the same and try it out on my spare head (good thing I have an extra Z6 and alsoo A6 head). One thing about P&P, is there like a certain place to do it at on the head or should I just open up where the openings are for the intake and exhaust?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts