Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
ef hatch beater
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a diagram of how to do this by any chance?
any input is appreciated however.
to be specific it is an obd1 z6 dizzy, wanting to do this so i can run the msd blaster coil.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
External caps still needs the coil to be be wired; all the caps do is allow the main coil negative("spark wire") to be hooked up to the distributor; but do not address the actual +/- coil wires.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The stock ignition has been proven to withstand a nice amount of power. I did the msd cap and blaster coil on a old b18 build and saw very little improvement. Everyone that posted nailed the head on the coffin with how to do it! Best of luck man

·
Registered
17 Posts
Will I have to do the timing again? I will etch the position of my dizzy to the head so I can line it back up. I've done it on b2 and it worked. But since I am changing cap and rotor to msd, will I need to time it again even if I line up my etch marks? All that make sense? Obviously I don't have a timing light and don't have quick access to one. Thanks

·
Registered
an ej8 coupe
553 Posts
Will I have to do the timing again? I will etch the position of my dizzy to the head so I can line it back up. I've done it on b2 and it worked. But since I am changing cap and rotor to msd, will I need to time it again even if I line up my etch marks? All that make sense? Obviously I don't have a timing light and don't have quick access to one. Thanks
if you leave the dizzy bolted to the head you shouldn't need to time it.

·
Registered
94 dx hatch
385 Posts
If the rotor is indexed right you shouldn't have any problems... same with the cap

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
MSD blaster is a waste unless your pulling well over like 400whp lol.

Had it on my stock Y8 when I first got the car and all it kept doing was burning plugs out.....Changed it all back to stock with NGK and no problems ever since....This was 5 years ago.

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
MSD blaster is a waste unless your pulling well over like 400whp lol.

Had it on my stock Y8 when I first got the car and all it kept doing was burning plugs out.....Changed it all back to stock with NGK and no problems ever since....This was 5 years ago.
IIRC they have pushed stock ignition passed 500. ill have to search to refresh my memory

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
^^^ Your probably right bud!

I was just throwing it out there that more than likely with the OP's question that its more trouble than will actually help him.

Your cutting a factory wire to jimmy rig up an external coil.....OEM= Reliability

Aftermarket = Meh 50/50% Reliability lol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts