Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic SI
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have googled searched and I have d-series searched and there are about 25 million different ways I have seen to clean your gas tank to get it free from rust.

co2..pressure washer + vinegar, Iso Alcohol 91-99%, Clean Gas etc. etc. etc. but what do y'all reccomend?

Also when I got the tank off and got to the fuel pump I noticed the strainer was clogged full of rust etc. so I took it off and set it in a cup of gas hooked it up to the car primed the new fuel filter and it cranked until it ran out of gas ( it's a bitch feeding it out of a mason jar)

Do you think with that being said it will hold enough FP to opporate the car under normal terms or should I go about replacing it? Mightyjoecivic sent me a 92-95 fuel pump which isn't the same but I can modify it to work.. should I go that route? Thanks again guy's rep will be spread!

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Most yards around here poke holes in the tanks prior to putting them out...sux.

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic SI
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most yards around here poke holes in the tanks prior to putting them out...sux.
Ours do was about to say the same thing, it's not easy enough to take a 17mm and take the drain off they poke holes in em like swiss cheese so that's not too much of an option =/

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
OOHHHH OOOHHH OHHH I'll bring the marshmallows and graham crackers..

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
I can't be xpected to bring everything.. but in all seriousness... radiator shops most of the time can pretty much hottank ur gas tank.. that should get all the rust out..

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic SI
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol, I think I am gunna try rinsing it with gas about 10-15 more time's until I get a better color almost clear coming out running 2 tanks of gas in it then change the filter

·
No Tune No Life!
99 Supercharge Regal
2,045 Posts

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
There is many places specialized in gaz and fuel tanks refurbish. It's often cheaper than a brand new, and they offer warranty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts