Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
This one's for you, Duck.
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so you're driving along one day and notice that your temp gauge is a little high. First thought, low on fluid. You top it off but it doesn't change. You test the hoses and radiator to see if they're clogged, everything's normal. You feel the hoses for the pulses from the water pump, she's got a pulse doctor. Well what's left? Wait, what's that sound.....nothing! Your fans haven't engaged all this time. What a bummer. Don't worry though, fixing this little problem is as easy as rummaging through your desk for a paperclip.

Time needed: < 10 miuntes

Tools needed: a bit of wire or trimmed down paperclip.

Optional tools: soldering iron & accessories, wire, switch

Step 1) Locate your thermo switch. This is often on the bottom of your radiator.

Thar she blows!

Step 2) Remove rubber cover to reveal the connection point

Step 3) Now take your paperclip or wire and jam it down in there making sure that both leads are making contact with the wire/clip. Once that's done, put the little boot back on and you're good to go.

·
This one's for you, Duck.
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Right, now go turn your key to the second position, but don't start it.

Go up front and your fans should be humming away!

Keep in mind this should be a temp. thing as the fans will be on all the time and will burn out quicker.

Now an alternate way of doing this is to rig a switch inside the cabin. Now you can just do the job of the thermo switch and save your fans a little. This is really simple because you don't need a relay because there's already one in place! How nice of honda to do that. :D All you need to do is connect your two wires coming from the thermo switch to the two leads on your switch inside the car. That's it. If you need help running wires, look for existing holes on the firewall that you can poke the wire through (just be sure you can access it from the other side :wink: ). Now you can control your fans from inside the car.

·
Registered
910 Posts
This is a good way to test and make sure that the relay and fan are working incase the fans were not coming on, then you know its the thermoswitch. You should have a switch for the fan, you dont want it running all of the time. The engine needs to warm up and then when its warm you only need the fan for low speeds or sitting still.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I rig'ed a switch that sits right where the battery used to be. For when I go out to the track.. This tends to happen when you remove the A/C from the wiring harness and a circuit gets bypassed.. The yellow wire in the black circle is the wire and you can see the switch ziptied to the wiring harness. This is the safest way to do it..

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Great write up! I did this just yesterday... My car was getting pretty warm in traffic... I knew exactly what it was... When I did my D15B VTEC swap the thermoswitch was broken, so I just never hooked it up... And its been fine for 2 months now, but I guess the combination of the hot day yesterday and I was in traffic alot caused it to get really hot... But Im gonna get a thermoswitch today and probably swap it out soon... Sucks cuz Ill have to drain the fluid... I feel like kicking myself for not doing it while I had the engine out...

But for future refference on the D15B VTEC (atleast on mine) the thermoswitch is located on the thermostat housing... Its a pain to get at... But removing the intake tube helps...

And on my CRX (I think all pre 92 D series are like this) it was on the back of the block...

Just so ppl know where to find it, if they cant find it on the radiator, its probably on one of these other 2 locations...

·
Registered
910 Posts
kommon_sense said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but bypassing the thermo switch seems like a hack and the wrong fix for someone who may be overheating... Can someone explain why this could be a good thing to do?
I said earlier, its not a good thing to do. Because you dont need the fan to run all the time the power is on. The only time you would want to take the two wires off the thermoswitch and jump it, is when your checking to see if your relay and fan are working properly. Because the thermoswitches stop working at times and this is a good way to see if its bad. If you want you can take the wires off the thermoswitch and run two wires to a switch inside the car. I have done this and i just like it so i dont have to rely on the thermoswitch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts