Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I've got a pretty broad question here.

I notice damn near everyone is/has built/rebuilt at least 1 or 2 Honda motors, however there is no detail/picture filled tutorial to be found. (Not that I can find, at least).

Where you all just born with the ability (and all the tools) to properly disassemble/assemble engines or what?

I've got my Honda manual. I've basically read the whole thing through a few times. But I'm still not really comfortable ripping it apart, and putting everything together exactly to spec. Nor do I have all the tools to check every last little bit and make sure it's as reliable as it was from the factory.

What is the deal? Are a lot of members just wingin' it?

I've spoken to some shops about having the work done.
They want $600 to remove and replace the engine. <- Why on earth would it cost so much??? That's something I could definitely do myself...
$450 to get the block cleaned and built w/ a p29 FJT kit. <- Seems reasonable...???

What do you guys think I should do?

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
i wing it. you learn best form expirence after you do your research. i listen to what smarter people are saying.

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
Hey everyone, I've got a pretty broad question here.

I notice damn near everyone is/has built/rebuilt at least 1 or 2 Honda motors, however there is no detail/picture filled tutorial to be found. (Not that I can find, at least).

Where you all just born with the ability (and all the tools) to properly disassemble/assemble engines or what?

I've got my Honda manual. I've basically read the whole thing through a few times. But I'm still not really comfortable ripping it apart, and putting everything together exactly to spec. Nor do I have all the tools to check every last little bit and make sure it's as reliable as it was from the factory.

What is the deal? Are a lot of members just wingin' it?

I've spoken to some shops about having the work done.
They want $600 to remove and replace the engine. <- Why on earth would it cost so much??? That's something I could definitely do myself...
$450 to get the block cleaned and built w/ a p29 FJT kit. <- Seems reasonable...???

What do you guys think I should do?
lol, not trying to be a dick, but your post made me laugh, especially the first part about being born with the ability to rebuild motors...lol To answer your question, alot of people on here have been building engines since they were teenagers, myself included. Albeit I started with my old man working on muscle cars with 500hp small blocks...I am actually nearing completion of my first d16z6 naturally aspirated build, having already completed two z6 swaps into my 1990 civic hatch, one of which I threw together a z6 that I got in pieces for 150 bucks and is still running strong by the way...lol Nobody is born with the knowledge and skills to do this, it comes with research and practice. I've learned ALOT just from joining this site, so you are already on the right track there. Read the stickies in the engine building forums, and read build threads. you'll be able to weed out the people who know nothing from the people with knowledge if you just hang out for awhile. Good luck:TU:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts