Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I called one of the local handa shops and they told me they would charge me 1200 to get my block done. This is the description of what they would do:

hot tank block
bore and hone
micropolish crank
check all clearences
balance and blueprint
attach pistons to the rods
assembly

does it sound like way to much or is this ok?
this is labor only, any parts they need to use are extra.

·
Registered
90 SI Hatch, 93 EJ1
175 Posts
which dealer in VA was it? sounds kinda expensive but I have never payed anybody to do it so i would not know.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Eh, its alot of work...If they are doing a really good job I dont think it is that rediculous. Then again, i've never had any of that work done...Bump for a better answer

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
to have ALL my block work (and head work) along eith the price of the gasket kit and clevite bearings motor fully assembled ready to drop in it was roughly 1100 give or take (thats not counting the price of the cam pistons rods rings DUH)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Assembly isnt hard...Its basically a step by step process...In MY mind there isnt much to mess up as long as you are methodical about getting it done properly...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thats def high i didnt nearly pay that for mine. basically crank balancing is the biggest thing you dont want that screwed up or boom

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
IIRC, my cousin got his LSVTEC put together by RLZ for a little less than that(that engine is making 175whp with i/h/e, 82mm pistons, and tuning...stock GSR head and manifold).

·
Registered
66 Posts
it's not really an outragous price... because checking all the gaps and clearances isnt any quick task along with balancing and blueprinting, and when you say bore is it acctually opening up the cylinders more (then you'll be needing new pistons). or just cleaning off any scaring on the cylinder walls (if it's bad you might need new pistons anyways). but if they warrentee their work then it's really not a terrible price.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it's not really an outragous price... because checking all the gaps and clearances isnt any quick task along with balancing and blueprinting, and when you say bore is it acctually opening up the cylinders more (then you'll be needing new pistons). or just cleaning off any scaring on the cylinder walls (if it's bad you might need new pistons anyways). but if they warrentee their work then it's really not a terrible price.
I will be running p29's .040 over.

·
Registered
106 Posts
when I was building my ls/vtec years ago I took my block with all the parts to the local honda shop and they charged me $300 including them ordering the bearings and I never had a problem with it it ran like a champ

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
wow, that is alot.

Like it has been stated, get the machine work done and put it together yourself.

I spent $1,200 on my 351 block to get it bored .030"/honed with torque plates. Decked. Align honed because of the girdle. Heat-treated (much better than vatting, IMO). New cam bearings/freeze plugs. All bolt threads cleaned. This also included balancing my rotating assembly and putting the pistons on the rods. Shot-peened the stock rods and converted them to full-floating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts