Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title states. I was wondering how much HP stock z6 rods can handle. I want to put ZC p29 pistons in my z6 build. Stock bore 75mm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was also wondering about LS rods. I have talk to some people and they said to use ls rods. I was wondering are they light? I know they're strong. Does anyone know the wieght differents of these rods. If I keep the same 75mm bore and I deside to go with ls rods do I have to shave the rods or the block so they can fit? Do I have to purchase a different headgasket other then the OEM z6?

Thanks

·
Registered
Civic
882 Posts
Should be...What rpms can z6 rods withstand?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Like the title states. I was wondering how much HP stock z6 rods can handle. I want to put ZC p29 pistons in my z6 build. Stock bore 75mm.
One word. Why?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Raise compression, make more power
I hope your kidding.

I obviously know that p29s raise compression for more power.

I meant why use a stock bore. I just dont understand why NA people keep stock bore. HONDA makes a .020 overbore piston for JUST THIS REASON. (not to mention the OEM gaskets are oversized as well)

People ran .040 overbores with Vitaras back before they were available in .020 and that was with boost. If it were me I wouldnt run ANYTHING less than a .020 overbore piston in a NA motor.

All other things equal you raise the compression .09 but the added almost 22cc of displacement will help as well.

There will still be plenty of cylinder wall left as well. Plus,unless you have perfect walls stock, chances are that post-hone you will be out of spec for stockbore pistons anyway, so .020 will keep it within clearances as well.

Im always willing to learn, so if I am wrong, someone please correct me.

From what I have seen, the stock z6 rods are good for 200whp with a proper tune. Though I would spend the 50? bux or wutever and put on ARP Rod Bolts.

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
I hope your kidding.

I obviously know that p29s raise compression for more power.

I meant why use a stock bore. I just dont understand why NA people keep stock bore. HONDA makes a .020 overbore piston for JUST THIS REASON. (not to mention the OEM gaskets are oversized as well)

People ran .040 overbores with Vitaras back before they were available in .020 and that was with boost. If it were me I wouldnt run ANYTHING less than a .020 overbore piston in a NA motor.

All other things equal you raise the compression .09 but the added almost 22cc of displacement will help as well.

There will still be plenty of cylinder wall left as well. Plus,unless you have perfect walls stock, chances are that post-hone you will be out of spec for stockbore pistons anyway, so .020 will keep it within clearances as well.

Im always willing to learn, so if I am wrong, someone please correct me.

From what I have seen, the stock z6 rods are good for 200whp with a proper tune. Though I would spend the 50? bux or wutever and put on ARP Rod Bolts.
I think you are correct with the 76mm gives you a little bump in displacement to actually a little over 1.6 liters. I run 76mm vitaras and have had no issues so Im 1000000% sure n/a will have no problems at all, BUt I will say stock Z6 rods you can run a tad more power 250 is safe.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I think you are correct with the 76mm gives you a little bump in displacement to actually a little over 1.6 liters. I run 76mm vitaras and have had no issues so Im 1000000% sure n/a will have no problems at all, BUt I will say stock Z6 rods you can run a tad more power 250 is safe.
I think you are right. 250 is about the max without crazy low timing or really high octane gas, but if it were me, I would still spend the 50bux on ARP bolts.

And 1633cc is quite a bump in displacement indeed.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
cause unless the walls need to be bored out to be rid of imperfections, it can stay stock size. boring an engine out for no reason is retarded. it would bring you that much closer to having to replace the sleeves.

engine building 101: DON'T BORE UNLESS YOU HAVE TO.

either due to availible pistons sizes or cylinder wall damage. if its not needed, don't do it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts