1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i called a couple people and im getting weird fluctuations in prices
im looking to get a block bored/honed and decked

i got anywhere from 150-400 bucks

some wont even work on honda blocks i guess. what is the usual cost for services like this

last time i had a engine done was for a motorcycle and the place i go to to do engine work moved out of state and they would charge something like 15 bucks a hole to bore and hone

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
I was actually going to say 20ish a hole plus decking. So $150 sounds right. $400 sounds like the shop owner has a bad cocaine habit.

A lot of V8 motor builders won't bother with Honda blocks cause they don't like working with tight tolerances (Honda's have smaller pistons, Smaller pistons swell less than big Chevy/Ford/Mopar pistons at temp, hence smaller pistons have tighter tolerances then big V8 stuff).

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
one guy told me he would be charging 100 bucks just to take out the freeze plug and put a new one in. and i told him i can do that myself and he said we have to do that. some of these guys are retarded or what im assuming is they dont like dealing with anything honda.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hey bud you need to go see Greg downriver, He is our go to guy for machine work and he does a great job. Get at me on here or XS for more details I want to say he is over in Riverview but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
You are in detroit, so imports are very popular with alot of guys. Just tell them Honda is more american than the "American" automakers,lol, I always do that. I've had $150 for a good bore and hone and $40 for block resurface. Alot of the cheap machine shops that charge $20 or so a hole (that is a give away right there if they say hole instead of cylinder), have really old machines and I've seen the block come back pretty well screwed up. Find a machine shop that has great rep, and go wave some cash in their face.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
another reason the westside is better :)

we have alot of great machine shops....and i wake up and my car is still parked out front :D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
another reason the westside is better :)

we have alot of great machine shops....and i wake up and my car is still parked out front :D
It isn't to bad here on the east side, After you pop a few shots at some of the thieves they tend to leave your car be.

But yes I think more Honda/Acura's are stolen in the southeastern side of Michigan than the whole rest of the state. lol

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had my d16z6 block overbored .20 over, hone, hot tanked, crankshaft micropolished and cleaned, rods sized, block and girdle notched for bigger rods, and clearance checked and it came down to $490.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are in detroit, so imports are very popular with alot of guys. Just tell them Honda is more american than the "American" automakers,lol, I always do that. I've had $150 for a good bore and hone and $40 for block resurface. Alot of the cheap machine shops that charge $20 or so a hole (that is a give away right there if they say hole instead of cylinder), have really old machines and I've seen the block come back pretty well screwed up. Find a machine shop that has great rep, and go wave some cash in their face.
lol people hate imports here. if i was a v8 guy id hate imports too. but im broke and cant afford one.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
ehh its cuz you live in the birthplace of the big three man....

when i go to the grocery store over here there are more import/euopean cars in the parking lots than the big 3

when i go to detroit in my honda pilot......i feel as if im a minority....everything is chevy, doge, ford.....and i see more fords than any of them to be honest....the city was built on that....its sad it see it crumbling down the way it is

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
over here the shops know what to do to a v8....you bring it in and say i want to make more power and they do it for you.....

with imports you have to hold there hand, go in knowing exactly what specs you want, what you need, and they'll do it.....do your homework, they will second guess it....just reassure them that is what you need done at these clearences with these tolerences....and you'll end up getting somer great work done

1 - 19 of 19 Posts