Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so on the new setup I'm not going to run an open downpipe anymore.I have a 3' ID catback exhaust on the car and I'm not going to run a cat,and im planing on runing a 3" inch downpipe.

The question is my exhaust mid pipe is designed to use an oem honda cat converter so it has a slight bottleneck to meet the flange and and then from there on it's 3" ID all the way out the muffler.I bought an ebay test pipe just for the all motor break in since I didnt have anything and the test pipe is the same way, a bottle neck on each side and then its 3" ID.How much do you think it would hurt my flow to leave that alone?I would just have to run a transition at the end of the downpipe and attach an oem cat flange.This would save me a little bit of money when I get my down pipe fabricated since i wouldnt need to have the exhaust mid pipe removed and a new 3 inch flange added and I wouldnt need to make my downpipe super long or spend more money in materials and labor making a 3 inch testpipe.I know flow is king on turbo setups but how much of a loss would this actually be?

example of the testpipe.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-95-HONDA-CIVIC-EG-STRAIGHT-HIGH-FLOW-TEST-PIPE-w-02_W0QQitemZ260197733729QQihZ016QQcategoryZ33629QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

example of the exhaust mid pipe restriction

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
imho a lot, you would have to drop the exhaust size to almost 2 inches at one point. it will not be as bad as if you were to run a "cat", but it will still bottle neck the turbo. i would spend the extra cash to get a true 3" exhaust made.

you could get some stuff off kteller. here is what i came up with for what you could order to make the test pipe for you and re-flare your current exhaust.

Shopping Basket
.................................................Qty....................Price
Flat Faced Exhaust Flange 3 Bolt 3" 3 Bolt Flange.......$6.99
Flat Face Exhaust Gaskets 3 Bolt 3" 3 Bolt Gasket.......$4.99
Aluminized Straight Pipe Aluminzied 14 Gauge Straight 3.00" Tubing $23.15

Total = $ 77.25 + shipping

welding should not be that much more money. my local shop could do it for about $50, if i brought it all down ready to be welded already.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've already got the stuff priced out, pretty much at jegs since that was my original plan and its local.I just bought the normal testpipe because i needed something for a normal break in and when I actually saw it I got that idea.

It comes out to about 84.73 in materials for just the downpipe and thats excluding stuff I have.I can do a 3 inch test pipe for 40.97 without labor.
Thats 125.70 excluding the labor for everything.No regular exhaust shops around here will touch my car because the no cat thing.I have a shop that does all my welding for a reallly good price (I got my valve cover vents,breather box,oil pan,and a battery bracket all done for under 120) but its going to take alot of work (geting the car on the lift,removing the exhaust,removing the flange,welding on a new flange,putting it back on the car,welding the test pipe,then fabbing up a new dp from scratch.) so i honestly have no idea what im looking at price wise.I guesstimate around 150.I might just have an extra long down pipe and save 40 bucks on the 3 inch test pipe

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts