Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just got some white line radius rods, that allow me to adjust the castor up to a stated 6 degrees. So I fitted them and had a little play, however when Maxxed out(6 degrees) it puts the lca bush at a less than desirable angle, which could cause problems.

Have any of you guys come a cross this before?

I will post a picture later when I'm on the PC, I am running energy poly bushes if it makes a difference.

Thanks lee.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Unless you are doing some serious racing where tiny adjustments will make a difference, I dont see why anything other than stock will help.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
What behavior are you trying to correct? How has this adjustment corrected that.

Good, bad? Feel like you need more?

Ultimately the decision is going to be yours, so maybe figure out how to make an informed attack on the issue rather than going with the herds opinions. No offense to the herd, they are great fun and often bring up different points of view that make you question your own current beliefs.

What problems do you think you are gonna run into, the compliance bushing?

You can get offset compliance bushings from Whiteline to maybe help if thats the issue.

I don't see how the second post helps at all....

He thinks he needs it. Why do you think he doesn't need it?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't driven it yet, so in not sure how it is going to affect the car.

I'll post a picture up later.

It's an ef so I think a spherical bearing in the lca may be the only way to cure it.

Also I might not need it, but I build cars to learn. For the price of them it was worth a shout to see what difference added castor makes.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Post up results ... that sounds interesting. I think you're right on the spherical bushing being your only recourse. The only other way I can see to fix it would be to "clock" the bushing to match your castor setting, which would be time consuming ... and annoying and make doing small adjustments on the fly VERY difficult.

What is the car being used for? Was there any reason other than "shits and giggles" that you decided to mess with castor? Having a controlled(ish) environment (like a track) would probably yeild the most definitive results.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Not the greatest of pictures but you get the idea.

The car is a road car, however it will be seeing track time soon. Recreational i hasten to add, so loosing that last .2 seconds off a lap time will be off of the list of priorities.

I also heard other than increased steering weight, there is no real downside to adding positive castor. Obviously the lower arm angle is another hinderance, but in an ideal world i mean.

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
I'm at 4+ degrees of caster on stock bushings and I am pretty sure mine is not doing that.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
The more caster you run, and the greater the speed, the greater amount of force the wheel will have keeping it straight, or, working against steering input.

So expect drastically improved stability at speed. The car will want to go straight.

Expect accelerated wear on steering components and bushings. Expect a very heavy steering wheel if not power assist equipped.

IIRC OEM Honda caster spec on 88-91's is 1deg. I ran 4 deg for a while. Back to 1 deg now.

·
Registered
496 Posts
You are saying that is 6 degrees in your picture because they advertise 6 degrees adjustment so you got it in your hands and mzed it the fudge out didnt you? I bet that 10+ degrees

Mine is set 4 degrees forward and looks perfectly straight with the subframe

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
The only way he will know for sure is to take it and have it set at an alignment shop. He just needs to tell them what specs he wants to run it at.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all,

In the end i set both arms as they are above, after bolting everything up and setting it on the ground the bush looks alot better.

I had the car aligned but the alignment shop couldn't measure caster as it required me to go lock to lock and the laser alignment bracketry fouled on the wings as the cars quite low.

However the car feels great! i installed an quaife quick rack at the same time, so the steering is pretty heavy, however turn in feels great, and it feels SO much better through tight corners. It was definitely a worth while investment.

Lee

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I want that steering quickener so damn bad

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I know, I want it...I cant afford it..lol

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
It sounds like your alignment shop is way too commercial oriented and you need to find someone who actually has a clue how to do alignments without relying on a computer to "calculate" what your suspension is doing instead of actually measuring, like it is supposed to.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The car feels great, drives straight, and most of all I'm happy with it.

It's a road car that will see a bit of track work not a full blown race car.

It will suffice I'm sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts