1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its my tongue twister for the day...

Hey everyone, new to the sight, only kinda new to d series

previous car was an 88' Integra (d16A1)

I'm picking up this 89' CRX for super cheap, the motor is out (d15)
A buddy of mine has a complete turbo kit for d/b series
(im sure a couple parts will need to be made)
and also a d16 vtech block/head for sale

so I want to keep the d15 in the crx and get that gas milage :p and build this d16vtec for boost (only because I can get the kit for cheap)

my question is with 100k on the block, how much boost can it take, reliably (yes I know for the best reliability you should build it from the bottom up) but I'm not looking for big numbers...and was guessing 7-8psi?

Thanks for looking

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
First, welcome to the site. Future noob questions should probably go in the noob forum.

Second, according to my tuner friends (which sometimes clash with people on this board in many opinions) my stock D15b8 can take 8psi at the most. They've been trying to convince me to just boost the stock engine I currently have instead of building the D16Y7 I have sitting in the shop. To me it makes no sense to even try boosting a stock bottom end, but I'm going for durability.

My engine has about 160k on it, but I've had the car from the day it was driven off the lot, and I took care of it as best I could with what limited knowledge I had. If I didn't suspect something was wrong with the head I might boost it, but only to 6psi.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i could be wrong but the psi dose not really matter. i dony think the stock block could take 8psi from a borg warner s372. dsm turbo or small t3 i think you would be alright. im thinking your limited on the amount of horsepower you can make. better the tune the more power you could make.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Haven't gotten any info on the size of the turbo yet.

So, so far it looks like 6-8psi, gonna call my friend up and get that turbo info.

any insights (if I was going to for a full build on the d16) w/o sleeving the block - just rods and pistons(8.5:1?) what works good with the D series...I've heard of a couple of names, but you guys know specs on these motors better than anyone I know for sure lol

- the research commences -

PS - there's a guy in Baton Rouge who does excellent Honda tuning, I plan on taking it to him. and getting slighty larger injectors and possibly a walbro, I'm getting this shell for so cheap I have $1200 bucks RIGHT off the bat to start gathering parts, ect

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
First, everything is out the window with out a good tune! Second, it's not PSI that matters at all. It's WHP you are making and the amount of CFM going into your engine. A little T25 at 10PSI, is not pumping anywhere near as much air as a T3/T4 is at 10PSI.

I've seen people talk about anywhere from 200WHP-250WHP as a reliable number for a stock block D16. The D15s have smaller rods in general, so they may not even withstand that. It still really gets back to the tune!

As far as boosting a d-series, a lot of guys swear by using ARP head studs no matter what. (even in a stock block) As far as building the short block, rods and pistons are all that's needed. Vitaras and FJR Spec rods will do the trick.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
If you know your shit when putting an engine together or tuning. i say you can run 8-12 with a good tune and high octane. You could run more but you gotta be good to tune for that.

·
Registered
149 Posts
if i remember.
but i cant find it. theres a thread that is just people saying there setup and what problems with it.
theres a lot of stock ones running 6-8 psi on stock with no problems at 130k miles.
the stock and not so stock thread is sumthng like the title.

·
Registered
556 Posts
my buddy just tuned at 310whp with eagle rods, vitaras and arp headstuds on a d15b2.... runs great, nice little set up.

i just tuned a little below 200 at 6.9max psi, on all stock internals on a z6 with no problem.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've been running 13psi t3/t4 57trim for a year...bone stock dohc zc, on Friday I just installed Cometic HG and ARP studs, I was quite surprised to see the pistons/valves...everything in perfect condition...so was everyone at the shop.
I dont think I would turn it up any higher though...it is self tuned, never dyno'd it.

but I do have a second zc in the works.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Like all these guys say...it's not so much about the amount of boost you run; it's more about the horsepower being put down. I think the common line for a stock d block is about 200whp.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
my buddy just tuned at 310whp with eagle rods, vitaras and arp headstuds on a d15b2.... runs great, nice little set up.

i just tuned a little below 200 at 6.9max psi, on all stock internals on a z6 with no problem.
wow he travelled into the future? sweet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts