Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a curious Question. How many times can a Head be Resurfaced?
I have a D17 and got it resurfaced once. They did say it was warped and did take alot off but made it flat again.

Any ideas? How many times until you run into problems with compression etc...

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Umm 500 or until the valves hit the pistons. No seriously there is no magic number. It depends how much material is removed with each resurface. It could take 20 passes until you run out of clearance, or it could take 2.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There should be indication points to let you know if it's gone too far (as far as what Honda intended). You should be able to see a few circular tabs around the sides of the mating surface. If the machine work hit these tabs, then it's gone too far. That is of course a rough guideline, you can go past it if that's what you want and know what you are doing.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Here's a picture of obviously the underside of a Z6 head with a couple of the milling points circled. These points show you if you have room to mill. Don't quote me on this...but I believe once those circular points are gone you'll probably run into a problem. I assume a D17 head would have something similar.

·
Registered
^^^^
2,102 Posts
I'd also look up reviews / rep on shops in your area. There are places that
take off more than needed when you're just trying to flatten the head and
not bump compression. Hack jobs. A good shop should be able to shave off
the bare minimum.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
2x10 board with a belt sander strip stapled down. Run the head across it at angles and boom! DIY head resurfacing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts