Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be an odd question, but I want to know, how many miles on an engine would be considered too many to start building on the motor? My engine is at 290,123 miles. It was rebuilt around the 190,000 mile mark by the previous owner. I don't want to go all out on this engine but I want to put in a Cam, Valves, Springs but If this motor is to worn for that without a major overhaul I'd rather focus my time and effort on another engine.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,033 Posts
it all depends on the sleeves. if theyre bored too much over spec, then theyre useless unless you resleeve. if the previous owner only honed them, you might get lucky and be able to bore them and throw new oversized pistons in it.

also depends on the condition of the crank. if its been machined on or has been overheated, that plays a role in your rebuild.

·
Registered
1987 CRXSi
416 Posts
Keep this engine and build another...then swap - that way your car is not out of commission because it will take longer than you plan for.

·
Registered
Integra DB9, Accord Type R
432 Posts
It also depends on the extent and quality of the rebuild at 190,000. If it came out really fresh at that point, it's effectively only done 100,000 ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts