Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I survived code 9
1998 Honda Civic DX
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 1998 honda civic DX.

All I have done to it (electrically) is a set of 55watt fog lights. 55watt/12v = about 4.5 amps x 2bulbs.

I have replaced the stock front speakers with 180watt pioneer speakers and the rear with pioneer 220watt speakers.

Now my question is how many amps can I constantly, reliably draw without causing any harm? How many amps do I have to "play with" for another project.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I've heard the stock alternators are in the 80-90 Amp range. If you have access to a clamp-type ammeter, clamp it on your ground wire and see how much current the car draws when running, and with all the lights on. That should give you a good indication of how much you have left.

·
It's that time again
MAIN ONE IZ A CIVCSI
5,369 Posts
I have a stock 1998 honda civic DX.

I have replaced the stock front speakers with 180watt pioneer speakers and the rear with pioneer 220watt speakers.
is there a amp hooked up to these? cuz if not you dont have to worry about these drawing much more then the stockers if any thing they are useing the same power more efficiently.

as for you ? what else do you wanna run?

·
I survived code 9
1998 Honda Civic DX
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope. There isn't an amp. Infact, I'm using the stock headunit on the car. I just replaced the speakers because I had a ton of gift cards to best buy and one of my stock speakers was blown.

I just want to know what kind of power I have left.

Shifty35...thanks for that tip, I didn't even think about using a clamp style meter! Rep for you!

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
I've been running 2 3000 watt amplifiers (1800 watts rms/each) in my 89 crx with a stock alternator now for some 8 months. The trick is...2 kinetics in the rear spare tire well. I can jam on it at full bore for a good 2-3 minutes before my speakers want to melt. It will play at normal peoples ears bleeding levels for however long I feel like it. For normal listening or somewhat high volumes get some reserve power like a second battery and you should be fine on a stock alternator for a very long time.

·
Registered
681 Posts
right now i am running three amps not running nearly as much as bizzar but the trick is good batt good wires rem switch relay since the head unit didn't like power the rem on more then two amps

·
Registered
91 CRX SI
409 Posts
Wouldn't it be 14.4 volts with the car running. Or charging voltage around that. You have to remember that just about all audio system aren't ran at full capacity all the time. Best bet would be using an amp meter like said above.. If your going to get a big amp just get a cap to smooth out the current draw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts