Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was checking to make sure my radiator fan was working and coming on,
so i ran the car and i waited 25 minutes with it idling with the hood open, but my radiator fan never came on ?, then i forgot its probably different since its the winter time and its cold out, so it probably takes even longer than 25 minutes for it to come on ?

how long on average would you say it takes for crx radiator fan to come on during winter when its cold outside ?

i think i just need to wait longer to see if it comes on, but first wanted to see what people said, so i have an idea of how long to wait for.

thanks for any help

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
It takes a long time to bleed a coolant system you want to wait at least 25-30 minutes for all the air bubbles but I was having the same problem a few weeks ago outside I still havent properly bleed it im going to need to bring it into my schools shop to get it warm enough to bleed properly.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
The amount of time for it to come on depends on too many things, it should come on when the coolant is 191-197F

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
if you had the heater on, fan may never come on.

Heater control valve closed, turn headlights on, hold idle to 1500 rpm, wait 15-20 minutes for fan to come on. when fan goes off, open the heater valve and wait for fan to come on again, approx another 10 minutes. When fan goes off, turn off headlights, still holding 1500 rpm this whole time, wait another 5 minutes and shut the car off.

30-40 minutes in freezing weather to warm up a CRX that doesn't get driven enough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I bleed my system, I just get a funnel that is a snug fit it in the rad. neck and leave a few inches of coolant in it, so as the bubbles bleed out the coolant drops in.

I thought my fan switch was bad when i first bought my civic the fan almost never comes on.

Tested my switch as shown above, tested fan wiring...turns out I was just impatient.

However, if system isn't bled, it sometimes won't come on :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks transzex, i'll try going through those steps you listed, and see if that helps,

also, i was'nt asking about bleeding my coolant, i already did that a couple months ago, after putting new coolant in,

would the small coolant leak i have on top of my radiator affect anything for how the radiator fan comes on ? or not ?

it leaks just a little where you see green coolant across the ridge on top of radiator, but it holds the coolant enough where it stays full to the top for a while, it takes a long time til you notice the level going down, and only drops 1/4"-1/2" or so, so its still good enough to function properly.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Close the hood and then wait and see.
But i remember my civic fan never came on. It was also due to not having a t stat in but in the in the winter it wouldnt come on.

Now that all that is fix i have a different fan and cant hear it so i dont know.

And on the leak it could be going into the over flow, and if your truly lossing coolant it will make the car fun hotter and the fan should come on sooner.

If you just wanna check the fan jump the fan switch

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
my civics would never come on even idling it for 20-25 minutes

they just don't make that much heat at idle...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
thanks transzex, i'll try going through those steps you listed, and see if that helps,

also, i was'nt asking about bleeding my coolant, i already did that a couple months ago, after putting new coolant in,

would the small coolant leak i have on top of my radiator affect anything for how the radiator fan comes on ? or not ?

it leaks just a little where you see green coolant across the ridge on top of radiator, but it holds the coolant enough where it stays full to the top for a while, it takes a long time til you notice the level going down, and only drops 1/4"-1/2" or so, so its still good enough to function properly.
Likely time for a new radiator, seeping at the seam.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts