Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the picture i have here, you can see a black chassie pillar, (a pillar that is a part of the chassie construction, that runs from top to bottom in the front of the car) it is located just in front of the radiator and above the wastegate.

I want my oilcooler to fit between the radiator and the intercooler, but that damn thin pillar is in my darn way. Can i cut it off? What does it do? Does it have any major purposes to stiffen the upper chassiebody to the lower?

It annoys the hell out of me. I want it gone!!

Attachments

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
Yeah...dont touch.

·
Registered
an ej8 coupe
553 Posts
In the picture i have here, you can see a black chassie pillar, (a pillar that is a part of the chassie construction, that runs from top to bottom in the front of the car) it is located just in front of the radiator and above the wastegate.

I want my oilcooler to fit between the radiator and the intercooler, but that damn thin pillar is in my darn way. Can i cut it off? What does it do? Does it have any major purposes to stiffen the upper chassiebody to the lower?

It annoys the hell out of me. I want it gone!!
can you cut it off? yes. should you, no. its there for a reason. i could possibly see it getting bent down after you shut your hood a bunch of times.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
if your just moving it out ya, id still put some angle braces on it when welding it back up

and also try to drill out the factory spot welds when removing it

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
If you are gonna cut it out, you'd better brace it up somewhere.

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
Well...i guess then its fine...i would never cut something with out re-bracing it....but im a spaz like that.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well.. thats the thing, i cant see how much that pillar is going to keep the upper chassie struckture. Of course it helps a bit, but hey, i'm not slammin my CF hood with force? Because thats the main thing that pillar is going to do, take some hits and slamming from the hood?!

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
it supports the hood latch, for both when you slam the hood as well as when the hood is pulled up against it

when i first did it to mine i debated getting hood pins, but after 4 years its never done anything to get me worried

1 - 14 of 14 Posts