Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'97 HB
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first time driving in the rain in 3 years of autocrossing. I somehow always managed to miss it, but this time there was no escape! Had an absolute blast. This is a video from the last run (of 4), the rain had stopped by the 2nd run.

FSP Mods:
Stock front swaybar / no rear
Dunlop Direzza Star Specs 205-50-15
Eibach Pro struts and springs
ES Polybushing Master Kit
Powerslot front rotors, Project Mu pads / rear drums

Stock D16Y7
AEM CAI
Apex full exhaust
Megan cat delete header

Kept clean and running smooth!

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
You know some people freak out about autocrossing in the rain but it's more fun. And typically the touchy-ness of your car is greatly increased so that line between limit and slide is much thinner, I feel to some degree that it makes you a slightly better driver...

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
good job man
i always wanted to try autoX but im always afraid of making a fool of my self by going the wrong way lol
Everyone has to start somewhere, and FWIW everyone goes the wrong way at some point!

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Don't feel bad, we had rain that washed away what few chalklines at our event this weeekend, and 9 of the first 10 cars to run the course DNF'd. Even all the old guys DNF'd at least once.

·
Registered
'97 HB
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The course is set-up on an unused landing strip at Deland Airfield.
It's closed off from the main airport now and a radio control plane group uses it for classes and whatnot. Its a nice long strip but the surface is pretty rough. You'd almost do better in a grippy street tire than an R-comp.

I am willing to bet I have the most underpowered vehicle on site at any given event not including the karts! I HAVE to carry as much speed as I can because it takes forever to get up to speed again if I hit the brakes. The torqueless wonder strikes again! I'm pleased I do as well as I do considering.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
i wanna get into autocross but i live in the middle of the desert in cali and i have tried to find an scca event out there but i cant

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Always saw the cones for autocross being confusing is it just me? im sure its different when you actually drive it
You only look at key cones and don't worry about the rest. A good course doesn't have a lot of cones on it.

·
Registered
'97 HB
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you arrive early you can walk the course a few times before the official runs start. You can usually find an experienced driver to walk with if you want to know what certain cone configurations mean, plus theres a Novice or beginners walk where an instructor gives pointers on how to drive certain features optimally. Things like which side you should take an optional slolom, where to go flat out, braking point, how to handle a decreasing radius turn...
after all that you'll probably still get lost once or twice but don't sweat it.
Its addicting as hell, at least for anyone who truely loves driving.

Auto trans or not, I'm still haulin ass and taking names, so feel free to hate on me!

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts