Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Hond Civic Ex
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I could not find an appropriate spot to put this thread. Mod's please move if you see fit.

I am not building the engine up yet, it's my DD and I need her on the road.

I am looking to get 200-250whp in the future, call this a pre-build for the real build. Gotta start somewhere

I have a d16z6 in right now, it's having problems and I am going to take it out, swap for a sohc zc and rebuild the old engine later.

Comments/Opinions on the following setup would be nice:

zc sohc longblock - $650 + $250 shipping

I do realize that I need a rotor, spark plugs, spark wires, tensioner, timing belt, water pump, and water pump gasket. Name your favorite place to pick these items up. I was thinking Autozone/some other parts store.

Innovative Engine Mounts - Billet 75A - $287.00 (shipped) from GO-Autoworks

ES Master Bushing Set - ES - $121.40 (shipped)

Progress Technology Coil Overs - $559.00 (shipped)
Street Performance: 350 front-250 rear

Yokohama S. Drive - $292.00 (shipped)

15" Acura Integra Wheels - $359.00 (shipped)

I am going to do the DIY center caps by E. Jeezy.

Please alarm me on anything that doesn't seem to go together. If there is a better deal out there, or a better company please let me know. This is my first-time-automotive-anything-project, any help from the pros would be nice.

If you have used any of this equipment or companies let me know if you recommend them. If I am missing anything please let me know.

Sorry for the mass text, I just want to get this right the first time.

·
Poop Sock
wrx & slut rex
3,798 Posts
man $1087 for a swap is shit! where are you getting this from? that's way too much.
hmotors says it cost $499 on the site.

whats wrong with you're current motor? maybe we can help you fix those problems instead and save you a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
1995 Hond Civic Ex
89 Posts
man $1087 for a swap is shit! where are you getting this from? that's way too much.
hmotors says it cost $499 on the site.

whats wrong with you're current motor? maybe we can help you fix those problems instead and save you a few hundred bucks.
I don't really know, sounds dumb, I know. But, it has intermittent idle and acceleration problems.

• Sometimes it want's to idle properly, other times it idles from 1-1.5 to almost 0, it want's to die but never has.
  • The acceleration problem sucks balls. Sometimes the car acts as it should, other times I press hard on the accelerator pedal and it accelerates very slow. The car fusses and shakes all weird at the same time that happens.
  • I had someone look at it and he told me to start it up for him. He heard a "low end" engine knock, which I don't doubt. The engine has 247k on this hoe.
I don't want to have to get a new engine, I know that price is steep. But I can't afford to have my car down for a few days. I wish I could, but good old uncle sam won't like that very much.

I might have to move to Washington D.C. in a few months and I want her in proper mechanical functionality.

Suggestions of any sort would be nice.

200-250whp is no problem on a stock block z6. (boosted of course... most likely not going to happen NA)

looks fine to me
Thanks, I would eventually boost it.

I want to upgrade some internals so that I know it will last a little longer, but as I have said, that's later.

·
Infamous Kanjozoku hatch
4,671 Posts
Dumb Floridian! Sheesh, I dont want a h22a, screw that. I like the d16z6! Be nice to the noob!
:bigrofl:

well im gonna ditch d15b2 n go for H22a or K24a swap
want something bigger :yes:

·
Infamous Kanjozoku hatch
4,671 Posts
No thanks, I appreciate the offer!
yeah man, id do D16z6 or A6 swap in my hatchie

and prob will get another del sol and do k24 or h22a swap in del sol

·
Infamous Kanjozoku hatch
4,671 Posts
Not to my engine problems!
yeah i know,
but those setups you list should be good might try go bit bigger turbo like 45mm trim or something

·
Registered
1995 Hond Civic Ex
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't really know, sounds dumb, I know. But, it has intermittent idle and acceleration problems.

• Sometimes it want's to idle properly, other times it idles from 1-1.5 to almost 0, it want's to die but never has.
  • The acceleration problem sucks balls. Sometimes the car acts as it should, other times I press hard on the accelerator pedal and it accelerates very slow. The car fusses and shakes all weird at the same time that happens.
  • I had someone look at it and he told me to start it up for him. He heard a "low end" engine knock, which I don't doubt. The engine has 247k on this hoe.
I don't want to have to get a new engine, I know that price is steep. But I can't afford to have my car down for a few days. I wish I could, but good old uncle sam won't like that very much.

I might have to move to Washington D.C. in a few months and I want her in proper mechanical functionality.

Suggestions of any sort would be nice.

Any ideas about these?

I didn't post a turbo, that's way later down the road!

·
Registered
1995 Hond Civic Ex
89 Posts
the first thing I'd do is redo the timing, check for vac leaks, and make sure ALL belts are good
What type of manual should I buy? I'd like to pick one up tomorrow and look at the things you pointed out.

What type of manual should I buy? I'd like to pick one up tomorrow and look at the things you pointed out.
I found a service manual. Thanks though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Honestly, your D16z6 problems sound like timing. Doesn't sound like a major problem.

And to be honest, a low bottom end knock is common, and changing out the crank rod bearings that are making that noise is alot easier than a new motor.

D16z6 is very very similar to the SOHC ZC VTEC. Only a couple specific's off. I feel if you do this engine buy, you'll find in the end you'll have 2 of the exact same motor, and now need a car for the 2nd one. Fix the z6 and boost it. z6 is one of the better D series, IMO.

If your going to buy a ZC, pick up a DOHC ZC. Then while you build the z6, you can enjoy the DOHC. Then boost the z6, love it, and build the ZC till your bored with the Single Cammer Slammer.

Thats what I would do. :joint:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
yeah man, id do D16z6 or A6 swap in my hatchie

and prob will get another del sol and do k24 or h22a swap in del sol
lol lmk when that happens ill send you my addy for them foggies!!!! lol jk

to the op: start with timing like a few above have mentioned and possibly a nice tuneup with that kind of mileage is in order? your power goals are definately possible with a stock motor, but definately make sure its RELIABLE first then go fast.

·
Registered
1995 Hond Civic Ex
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all, I went ahead and downloaded the service manual, doesn't really specify how to "check" if the timing is good. Any ideas? Point me in a direction!

About the engine, I'd rather stay sohc for the time being, this will be my first engine experience, i'd rather try and keep it simple for the first go around.

I HATE LIVING IN AN APARTMENT, THOSE WHORES WON'T LET ME WORK ON MY CAR. jerks. No one in the area to help me work on my car :/ POOR ME. jk.

·
Infamous Kanjozoku hatch
4,671 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thank you all, I went ahead and downloaded the service manual, doesn't really specify how to "check" if the timing is good. Any ideas? Point me in a direction!

About the engine, I'd rather stay sohc for the time being, this will be my first engine experience, i'd rather try and keep it simple for the first go around.

I HATE LIVING IN AN APARTMENT, THOSE WHORES WON'T LET ME WORK ON MY CAR. jerks. No one in the area to help me work on my car :/ POOR ME. jk.
well firts u have 2 check the marks on can gear and on the cranck pulley
make sure hat hey line up
theres 2 marks on the can gear abd a up letter in order to see those marks u have to take the valve cover and the can gear coverthen ull see it
and for the cranck there is a white mark that has to line with the mark in the timing cover

1 - 20 of 29 Posts