Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
an adjustable cam gear will allow one to either advance the cam timing, or retard it, which shifts the powerband.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
juice91si said:
an adjustable cam gear will allow one to either advance the cam timing, or retard it, which shifts the powerband.
*Exactly what he said , and as you retard your cam timing it normally shifts the powerband to the high rpm range, and when you advance your cam timing it shifts it the other way to the low rpm range!!!!

·
D-series WTF?!?!
Dyno GT Racing Bike
3,674 Posts
there two types of timing well the general ones, the Dizzy side and the Belted side.
to retarded the time is basically like a negative and plus meter of some sore negative i should say is retarding the time and plus is advancing the time
- Retarding Advancing +
\
\
\
\
\

·
Hondaphile
see above
1,113 Posts
^^^He's more or less right. The "dizzy side" would be ignition timing, this refers to advancing or retarding your spark event, the "belt side" would mean using an adjustable cam gear to change the reference point of the camshaft to the crank shaft (ie: advancing or retarding).

·
Registered
325 Posts
So how do you know how many degrees it is with the dizzy? Im going turbo this spring or summer and I was going to start off with a FMU for right now at 7psi. I thought I could just turn the dizzy some to retard it and be fine. Am i wrong?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Phantom Civic said:
So how do you know how many degrees it is with the dizzy? Im going turbo this spring or summer and I was going to start off with a FMU for right now at 7psi. I thought I could just turn the dizzy some to retard it and be fine. Am i wrong?

*VERY shady way to tune your timing on a boosted engine. Get your ecu chipped and run crome,uberdata,hondata,yada,yada.As cheap as it is to do it right there is no reason to put something like the fmu on there and retard your dizzy. The FMU puts an enormous amt. of fuel press. on your injectors and often leads to overworking them.I have been that route and will never do it again.....

·
Registered
325 Posts
I know that but for for right now Im only gonna be running 7psi and I will probably eventually switch. But at that psi could I just push the dizzy back some and be safe for a while?

W

·
0 Posts
/\ yea maybe but thats what my friend did at 6 psi and now he doesn't have a working engine anymore.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Phantom Civic said:
I know that but for for right now Im only gonna be running 7psi and I will probably eventually switch. But at that psi could I just push the dizzy back some and be safe for a while?
*People did this back in the day when there was no hondata,standalone's, etc..
and yes it can work , but what Im saying is if you like having a car to drive everyday thats reliable and everytime you want to jump on the gas your not worried about the engine eating itself up , dont put an fmu on there for engine mgmt. I know it's so easy to just bolt it up and its cheap, but thats exactly what your getting ......
FMU= Motor going to visit:jesus:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts