Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
D-series Champ
1,338 Posts
just do a simple compression test. if you have a dead cylinder you gotta pull the head anyway. what makes you think you have a broken valve?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Well assuming you have the engine assembled.
You can tell a valve is loose by the sound (very hard clicking)
Also abnormal oil consumption, and slight blue smoke on exhaust fumes (note. vtec consumes oil, so if your engine is vtec do not rapidly assume u have a bad valve coz lack of oil)
you can tell a valve is broken when ur engines clicks and stops

The best way is to make a leak down test. this will tell u the compression inside the cylinder. If pressure is low u might have a blown headgasket, a faulty valve seat, a loose valve or worn piston ring.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
why are you running bosch plugs in a honda?! run Ngks man....
Just got the car and I'm making changes. I have boosted a couple of hondas, and I have always used NKG 1 step colder. Also to answer one guys question. I keep hearing a hard knocking sound as well as consumption of oil that seems to want to purge itself from the backside of the head on the intake seal. If that made any sence. Kind of like a bubbling sound wtf.
It did run hot coming back from the sellers house and then cooled down. Do you think the head could be warped or perhaps a rod even?
The set up is nice but the internals are stock. Does anyone have some eagle rods for sale, maybe even a good head if needed?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright I took off the head and the third cylinder valves look clean and the othe valves have a shade of gray. I'm going to guess that the third pistons valves are the prob? Should I also replace the gasket and what do you rec? I also rotated the crank to listen for any sounds and I heard nothing. So a rod isn't the prob.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't see any bent valves. They all move like they should when turned by the sprocket. I guess the oil pan must come off, it's time to check the crank and rods.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
must be...i dont see how vtec itself can use up oil. I do see how motors can burn oil in high rpms, but not simply because they have vtec. enlighten me
Well I guess u know what does vtec and how it works, I do not mean vtec burns oil. but usually vtec engines consume more oil than non vtec... and it's because of the driver frequently over 5krpms. LOL

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
take a dollar bill, start your car, hold the bill length wise right in front of your exhaust pipe. If the bill gets sucked into your exhaust, you got a bad valve or valves.....Its the old skool way...what? It works on pushrod V8's.

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
time for bearings, how many miles on the motor? Just measure everything and order the corresponding to spec, should be good to go.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts