Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie question here, but on a 97' EX with keyless entry I've heard if you swap out the stock HU you'll lose the keyless entry feature. Is that right?

I have the stock setup of 'radio up top with the CD player in the center console' and would prefer the CD up top also so the bottom space any be used for other purposes.

What options do I have?

Thanks, Jim

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
you can get a harness extension and keep the fac radio powered up in the car. Just stash it under the dash somewhere

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keeping old HU

you can get a harness extension and keep the fac radio powered up in the car. Just stash it under the dash somewhere
Yeah, I just read about that trick. I'm trying to FREE UP space behind my dash and use the bottom CD unit space for something else.

Should I just try to find an OEM CD/Radio head unit? That would seem to be another way.

·
Premium Member
96,97,00 civic
2,149 Posts
I have a factory cd player out of a 97 if you need it. You can have it for 15 bucks. Just pm me

If you dont decide to do this you can put an aftermarket cd player where the original went and still keep the KE.

I hope you understand that these are two decks right. Hondas factory cd players were mounted below

·
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme
3,203 Posts
Do a 6-cd changer mounted in the trunk. If you go to crutchfield and put in your car info, it will tell you which will work. :TU:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Factory CD?Radio Head Unit?

I hope you understand that these are two decks right. Hondas factory cd players were mounted below
Yeah, there was a seperate OEM CD Player or Cassette player in the center console or a 6-disc changer mounted somewhere else. But wasn't there an OEM head unit with the CD or Cassette built-in?

I thought I've seen these head units, but were they only for other years?

I have a factory cd player out of a 97 if you need it. You can have it for 15 bucks. Just pm me

If you dont decide to do this you can put an aftermarket cd player where the original went and still keep the KE.
So far (knock on wood) my OEM Radio and CD player have worked fine. Otherwise moving the OEM CD player to the glovebox maybe, or getting an aftermarket compatible changer for the trunk would be other possibilities. And until I get my 65 posts the for sale/wanted section is unavailable. But an offer like yours in a thread works just as well too!!

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Ok I misunderstood the original post. Good luck man. I would just stick the stock lower cd player in the dash. The cord is deffinetely long enough.
Thanks, but I would still need confirmation if a OEM CD/Radio head unit is even available for the 97' EX. Anyone know??

Do a 6-cd changer mounted in the trunk. If you go to crutchfield and put in your car info, it will tell you which will work.
Just tried that and all the choices use a FM signal to play thru the radio! Not one was a hard wired unit. WTF?

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
if u put a new radio in, you also have to tie a light green with black and light green with red wires together to retain dome light

tey are located in a green harness behind radio

1 - 12 of 12 Posts