Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to start working on a $300 93 lx civic with "engine problems" but I can't even pop the hood!

The bracket that holds the cable is broken. The cable is just dangling there. I've tried using two wrenches to try and manually pull the inner metal cable but nothing happens. I'm guessing the hood latch is stuck and someone yanking on it is what broke the cable bracket.

So what are my options for getting the effing hood to open?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have someone push down on the hood as you pull the cable, see if that allows the latch to move
niccccceeee!!!

I can always count on d-series for the tech

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jack the car up and see if you can get tho the latch and move the piece that the cable attaches to with a long thin screwdriver or something.
if i cant get the cable to work the latch, this will be my next try...

thanks for the good responses fellas

·
Registered
646 Posts
I actually just experienced this same problem. My hood latch cable was broken where it attaches to the latch. I tried everything possible to get it open. I had someone pulling on the release lever inside while I stood/jumped on the hood (it was already damaged and I was replacing it). That didn't work so I pulled the drivers side wheel to access the cable there. That didn't do anything either. So, I went and got my angle grinder and cut a 4''X4'' hole right above the latch and grinded off the part of the hood that goes into the latch. This worked out for me, of course not everyone trying to get their hood up is replacing it but this was the only way that worked for me.

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
every 96-00 hatch coupe sedan around here, there hood latches on the inside of the car have broken....honda recall!!!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This worked out for me, of course not everyone trying to get their hood up is replacing it but this was the only way that worked for me.
I hope this is not the case. I'm helping the owner of this civic; he's pretty down on his luck.

Anyone had luck reaching the latch from underneath?

·
Registered
178 Posts
and if all fails cut the hood
:bigrofl:

·
Registered
646 Posts
I hope this is not the case. I'm helping the owner of this civic; he's pretty down on his luck.

Anyone had luck reaching the latch from underneath?

Well you could always try to look from under the car to see. In my case the cable had broken right at the latch under the hood. I even tried prying the front of the hood up to try to release the latch with a screwdriver and couldn't do it. I hope you don't have to do what I did though. It was fun but I'd hate to have to do it if I wasn't already replacing the hood.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts