Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm totally in love with this engine. can take some serious abuse and beg for more. i like this engine 10x better than my old boosted z6. i noticed this engine over the z6 it has some serious top end. also better with the gas in vaccum and revs freely. what about you?

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Ya there a nice engine..

T

·
0 Posts
I liked my engine until I put it in my car :( It was sitting at my friends house for 2 1/2 months before I could put it in (he was in the middle of fully building his SOHC ZC 1.6 Turbo set up) and when I finally got it in and started it up.....it had a bad Rod Bearing! :( After pulling the block apart, I found out that 2 of the Rod bearings were bad (one was snapped completely in half) and a bad Main bearing. I was so upset. Since the motor was sitting for almost 3 months, the Engine suppiler did not take the motor back.
I finally decided to rebuild my Y7 Block with all new parts and put my JDM D15B VTEC Head on that. This set up works great! Just wish I didnt spend money on a full motor when all I used from it was the head.

Here are a couple of pics...

Rod Bearings

This is my fully rebuild D16Y7/JDM D15B VTEC Set up. Works Great! :)

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
4,692 Posts
I also love my D15b, it's currently a bit down on power cause of faulty fuel filter and a retarded header, once some money comes in though it's back up to normal power again.

Then it's boost time.........

B

·
0 Posts
greatest motor ever just as strong as the z6 for half the price and its wicked tight jdmness

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
bitchasscracker said:
greatest motor ever just as strong as the z6 for half the price and its wicked tight jdmness

I believe it's a little better at those high RPM's than a Z6.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I love my jap spec d16a6's . The engine code is ZC but its a single over head cam and pretty much the same thing as a d16a6 BUT it has stronger valves prings,and a beter cam and probably beter material bearings/rings/gaskets depening on the year it was built. Pulls to 8,0000 fine with 7lb flywheel.The gooks mite build them with tighter tolerences. Very strong motors untill there rods meat there max at about 220-250hp.

C

·
0 Posts
Mine looks great sitting in the garage waiting to go in. gotta get that little bugger in so i can actually feel like I'm not gonna blow up at 70 mph.

·
Ferio inspired
2,441 Posts
green_hornet_96 said:
Where do you find these motors??? I would like a D15B VTEC (NOT 3 stage) so bad....
whats wrong with your Y8?
yea D15bs are cool mine loves boost just ask the dyno:beer:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
NastyHabitzCRX said:
whats wrong with your Y8?
I could rebuild it and get rid of that pesky knocking noise and its upper-rpm shaking.

But then I'm still stuck with an oil pump that can't even engage vtec reliably. Please oh please say they had D15B vtec obd1!

I suppose I'm starting the preparation for the beginning of the planning stage of doing something about this old engine before it gives up the ghost. If the D15B is a reasonable price and mileage then you BET I'd choose that. Some mild rebuilding, just rods...forged slugs if I can figure out which ones to put in...new clutch... put 'er in inside of 15 months.

Actually I wouldn't rule out finding an old CRX Si chassis to house it in either!

·
Ferio inspired
2,441 Posts
flatfourfan said:
I love mine so much...........I'm going to work on it this weekend......operation engine bay clean up.
pics are a must then!:beer:

·
Registered
451 Posts
flatfourfan said:
I also love my D15b, it's currently a bit down on power cause of faulty fuel filter and a retarded header, once some money comes in though it's back up to normal power again.

Then it's boost time.........
What was wrong with your fuel filter?

Fuel filter affects performance? I thought in my noobness, that it only affected gas mileage. Can you enlighten me?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts