Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you get the rod caps off easily when plastigauging? the only thing i could think to do was put the bolts in and tap them gently...

but i think its squishing the strip a bit.

any ideas?:hammer:

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
sawzall

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i couldnt get mine in between the blades of the crank... but i wanted to really bad. hehe

did u use a smaller hammer? they have those ones that are yellow one side, red one side...

now that i think of it, if the rods are completely straight up i could prolly have a lot more success.... grr

learning process ill tell ya.. easy to get tired and overlook obvious things.

·
11,892 Posts
i couldnt get mine in between the blades of the crank... but i wanted to really bad. hehe

did u use a smaller hammer? they have those ones that are yellow one side, red one side...
Use a block of wood or something soft like that, hold against rod cap, bang on end of wooden block.

·
Registered
Civic
882 Posts
Remove the one bolt and unscrew the other. Pick it up about 2" ,and use the bolt as a lever.

Paint FTW?

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
Remove the one bolt and unscrew the other. Pick it up about 2" ,and use the bolt as a lever.

Paint FTW?
whoa, prolly gonna wanna line hone that sumbeaatch...lol

·
11,892 Posts
^lmfao!!!

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
My rubber mallet's head is like 4 inches round on each side...I didn't have much problem removing mine after the Plastigage was done.

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
gab the piston firmly with both hands and bite down on the rod cap, then pull it apart! Works like a charm.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
1) remove the nut
2) tap on the stud with the handle end of a hammer
3) play catch
1) Leave nut unscrewed at end of the rod bolt to protect the threads when hammering (tapping). Be careful using a rubber mallet that can chip off and contaminate your block.
2) tap on the stud with the handle end of a hammer :TU:
3) remove nuts and rod cap
4) cover rod bolts with protector (i.e. small hose or commercially avail product) This will avoid damaging your bearing, journals, and cylinder walls when the piston slides out.
5) push out piston with handle end of the hammer into awaiting hand

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well its a bolt system.. and if i tap down it will squish the plastigauge strip...
but a friend suggested putting the strip on the bottom and doing the same thing. seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
i would use a rubber mallet
something to think about-
i wouldnt suggest useing plastigauge...it can vary in viscosity and give false readings, also if you have a thin film of oil on the crank journals the plastigauge with spread over it also giving you a false reading.
if your in a pinch then its ok to use, like if the motor is in the car...
i use a micrometer, and i have never had too tight of oil clearances or to loose (which will reasult in excessive windage, windage=less power).
thanks,
-jack

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
strip on the long rod side, tap on the rod bolts, cap comes off without crushing the plasticgage strip.

How simple is that?????

OH YEAH, failure to clarify if your using OEM style ARPs or Eagle/TT setup.

Yeah small issues.

Like programming a satelittle in feet, but it lands in METERS burying itself!

Okay, okay check this out. The Mars lander...I did the calculations in feet...but I programmed it in meters! Oops! So instead of landing, fucker buried! 180 million dollar, whoopsie! Two years, SPLAT! Oh, oh, this is great, this is, shh, shh...the Hubble telescope...I forgot to put in the lens! *covers one eye* "Read the top line for me?" "Uh, Alpha Centauri, uh...Sirius, the rest is just a black hole!"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts