Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Civic EX
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My carbon fiber hood is oxidized really bad. Does anyone know a way to make it shine again? would 1000 or 1500 grit sandpaper work?

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
i always heard take good care of your cf hood, cause once it starts lookin nasty its almost impossible to make it look new again.

talk to a body shop, you might be able to sand it, buff it, and lay on some clear but idk dont have any experience in this area

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
i've read over the intrawebz that people are using peanut butter over cf hoods... sounds like a joke, but i'm serious. google it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
heres a link that i found on google:
Help: Referbish Refresh Carbon Fiber Trunk ?? - Honda Prelude Forum

to be honest its the same procedure that you would use to remove overspray or polish a hood. since the info he provides is not very clear(you can cause some serious damage with a clay bar if used improperyly) ill provide some steps to augment his steps.

1. clean the hood with dishwashing soap. why dishwashing soap? it will remove old wax and residues wich soap ment for cars will leave behind.

2. claybar- follow instrucions on box, basicly keep the panel wet at all times while claybaring

3. before applying the fiberglass restor pass the scratch x, scratch x was designed to be used by hand but using an RO or polisher will make this alot faster, if using an RO, be carefull not to cause burn thru, patience is key

4. then you polish, i personally like xtreme cut, but you might have a hard time finding it locally. also when polishing dont use an RO, use a plan old orbital, lots of how toos online. polsihing can also cause burn thru, be careful and patient.

5. wash and then wax.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
what i do to repair cf hoods is sand entire hood with 600grit wet being careful not to break through to the fiber...then clean throughly tack off and re clear it...also I do this on all c/f when i get it new..not only does it make look super deep, it protects it from uv rays...the resin the c/f is set in has no UV protectant .. thats y it needs clear

lmk if this helps

btw im in nj if ya want me to do it for ya!

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
^^
if op has a spray gun and compressor thats def the way to go
it can be done with rattle can clear....lol

or just prep the hood and bring to a body shop prob only charge ya like 100 bux or less to just clear it

·
Registered
374 Posts
lol, ive done my share of rattle can paint jobs, but one thing i learned working with body shops is a good paint job is 90% prep. ive seen some people do some pretty decent jobs with the rattle can though.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I re-cleared my Evolution CF spoiler in the comfort of my apt. LOL Used a can of clear coat remover (works awesome BTW). That bubbles up so you just scrape it off using a plastic wedge/blade. Then prepare for the clear and spray.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts