Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maybe not exactly the right spot for this but anyways. Afrs are sitting around 11.3-11.5 at wot and timing is [email protected] peaking at [email protected] which is limiter. Motor is a z6 with y7 cam, 5431e on 9psi, 70mm throttle body and edlebrock intake. This is about 5 degrees less than my full z6 with rocket regrind and 16g which burned down a piston. Anyways on to the pics. I want to add that I am not seeing a color change in the ground strap but I dont think more timing is the way to go here, do I need to install a new set of plugs? These ones have about 1200 miles on them.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,034 Posts

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,942 Posts
Looks alright to me. No signs of any major issues as far as I can tell.

Hard to tell where the ground strap discoloration is at from those angles though

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks alright to me. No signs of any major issues as far as I can tell.

Hard to tell where the ground strap discoloration is at from those angles though
What would be a better angle for the ground strap?

What could be that redish/pink discoloration though?

Besides that, looks good.
The leaner I go the more that goes away.

This is the best thread I have found for good looking plugs. Its nice to have another set of eyes looking at them.

Spark Plug Reading Pictures - Honda-Tech

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Something that will show the whole ground strap in the picture with good lighting to see how close the discoloration goes down the ground strap.

The "ring" around the plug looks like it was a good burn, no deposits and doesn't look discolored or too clean.

The ground strap will show if you need a hotter or colder plug depending on the coloration.

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is cylinder 3 from the top of 4th when I killed the car. too much timing or step down on plugs? I had some ngk racing 8s in it but I took them out because I wasnt sure if they are actually colder than the bkr7s.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I'd say that looks good. The ashy party of the ground strap goes to the base of the strap but not further. You're probably at the top of the heat range limit for that plug but I wouldn't go colder.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
from the pictures it looks like a tiny .020" gap or so.
if so, whats the reason the plugs are gapped so short/small?

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
from the pictures it looks like a tiny .020" gap or so.
if so, whats the reason the plugs are gapped so short/small?
They are set at .025. I set them there because when I had my car tune Dave had them set that tight. There was more boost and more power on that set up though. I did drop the 8s in it tonight and opened them up to .030 so we will see what they look like tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
guys that run 500+ horsepower are usually the ones needing such a small gap.

my buddy who has a crvtec with a T66 making over 400whp is still on ngk 8s with a 40 gap. runs fantastic and is quick as a otherfucker

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Put the 8s in a gapped them to .040 I also changed 2 turbo clamps and my afrs are now 11.8-12.0. The ground strap looks good but the porcelain is not as nice as the 7s. My 8s are not a protruded tip though. So I'm going to open the 7s up to .040 do some pulls and see where the afrs are and then maybe pull a degree of timing out of it. Hopefully virtual dyno can lead me to the right spots to pull some timing if need be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts