1999 Civic hatch
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all..

1999 Civic DX
1998 D16Y8
1998 EX tranny
2000 EX ECU

Ive had this motor in the car for a few months now. I didnt have a Y8 TB at the time so I just reused my Y7 TB w/ a Z6 rotor.
The car had a HORRIBLE idle (it surged at ~1600RPM) but it ran fine and go about 275ish miles to the tank.

I found a Y8 TB and installed it and it fixed the idle, well kinda. It idles a bit low and surges a bit.
But the car started backfiring like crazy and its running really rich. Its getting about 150 miles to the tank and you can smell the gas at idle. Its also shooting black smoke.
Also, when im driving at a constant speed and I hold the pedal down, it starts sputtering. It accelerates fine though.

I installed a new TPS but that did nothing.
I put in an almost new IACV and that also did nothing.

I have 2 check engine lights right now, one for IACV, and one for MALFUNCTIONING ECU. The IACV one may be gone now since I put a new one in, but I never understood the BAD ECU one.
VTEC kicks in fine and the car accelerates fine with no Limp Mode problems.

Any tips on how to stop the car from running so rich?

·
Registered
1999 Civic hatch
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I just slapped it on and put it on TDC. I know it needs to be adjusted, but its doing the same problem as before.

·
Registered
96 Civic HX
976 Posts
No I just slapped it on and put it on TDC. I know it needs to be adjusted, but its doing the same problem as before.
Of course it is. you didn't calibrate it.
you need to have it calibrated!. if not, yeah, your going to have problems. :pinch:

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Of course it is. you didn't calibrate it.
you need to have it calibrated!. if not, yeah, your going to have problems. :pinch:

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
remove thy right foot from firewall whilts driving thy motor powered buggy, then thee shall receive a bountiful mpg increase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts