Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do i replace piston rings in my D16A6 and bearings?
Do i need to get the block re-honed before i put all of this back together?
how do i set the rings? etc..

If anyone could help me out this would be great. Diagrams or specific step by step procedures on how to do this or any suggestions would be nice.

Thanks everyone and let the discussion begin.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Buy the Haynes manual it tells you everything you need. A hone would be most intelligent and a ring compressor to put the pistons back in the block.........more posts on this.........search.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Rebuilding an engine is a tedious and somewhat long process if it is done right. For the most part, rings and bearing are all that need to go in a car that has ran without trouble its entire life, and never suffered major power loss over its years. Rings and bearings are pretty easy, but while your at it, check the clearances of the main and rod bearings. The best way to do that is to use Plasitgage. This can tell you a lot of things, if the bearings are wearing unevenly is one of them. While the pistons are out, a hone job should be done to remove old glaze and allow the rings to set right. Check for out of roundness by using a telescoping guage, to see if the bore is warped. Checking crankshaft play is another good thing to do, especially if your bearings were severely worn.

Although not required, a new oil pump could be put in as well, if its still got low miles, it should be good. If not, a replacement is a good idea, if you dont know, change it.

Once your all done, i recommend using conventional oil for the first 1500-5000 miles, so that the rings and bearings break into their new homes, synthetics can be too slippery sometimes, causing them to slide excessively. Like he said up there, getting a haynes manual is a must if your doing this work yourself, but remember, while you have it apart, might as well rebuild everything that you can, for peace of mind.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
if you have never done it before and dont have someone helping you that has experience, i recommend taking it to a shop. im not saying you cant do it, just there is a lower chance of error

1 - 4 of 4 Posts