Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this turbo kit from the junkyard off of a 2000 D16Y7.

I have a 2000 Honda Civic EX D16Y8 with this somewhat unknown turbo kit both the motor and turbo kit came from the junkyard.

I grabbed the chipped ECU all the piping/intercooler/clamps and turbo and conversion harness and was able to get everything except the BOV.

I am wondering how do I tell what ratings the turbo has and also what brand and all that good stuff. I already have everything hooked up on the car but wanted to know how much HP and Boost the turbo can handle before it starts to bottleneck.

I believe the kit is a greddy turbo kit. The cast iron turbo manifold and kit looks just like it and it has greddy couplings. thats about all I know at this point though. Thanks for you thoughts!

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MY bad bro. Here you go. I know they are not the best pictures but its the best I could do!

One is of the oil pan I tapped. It took my 5 hours to clean all the metal shavings out of it. That was a PAIN in my butt there! But anyways here you go!!!

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,283 Posts
maybe look for a tag or serial number on the housings ?

has you checked the condition of your junk yard turbo?

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. There's no shaft play at all and it spools very firm and smooth with no problems

·
Registered
504 Posts
If the oil pan was full of metal shavings, that means the motor blew and you don't want to use the tune you got, you need a real tune for your motor. Also if the kit came off a y7, it will need a tune for a y8.

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The oil pan had metal shavings in it from having the -10 AN fitting drilled and welded in. It took 10 cans of brake cleaner to clean all of it out. The motor has not blown. It runs and drives just fine. But I was thinking about doing another oil change this week just to be on the safe side.

anyways are those turbos you mentioned any good? and if so how much power and boost can I make with them? I am looking to make 270whp on 15lbs of boost if i can.

I called central florida tuning this morning and they said $350 for dyno tune and they said they would tune for 15lbs if i wanted to.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,454 Posts
stop being lazy and google compressor maps for those turbos mentioned. you do a lot more talking and question asking than reading and searching

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it took 10 cans.

I wanted to be sure I got every single piece of metal out of the oil pan. It lookeded brand spanking new when I was done with it. I wish I had taken a picture of the oil pan cleaned. It was beautiful.

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all your help I googled it and the TD04H-15G looks just like mine. has anyone had good experiences with this?

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Are you not the same guy who last week said they were getting the kit from a friend? Who now just got it out of a junk yard?

So tell me.... What story is the true one?

·
Registered
92 cx
934 Posts
Yes it looks like the 15g, a couple people here have made up to 230-250whp and higher with our D series. It's efficient up to 23psi. I'm pushing 7psi on mine with a stock d16a6 making 175whp 172wtq...very fun on the street, full spool by 3,000rpm, mine starts to spool at 2000rpm. I doubt a stock block would last very long with 15psi, but I've never tried so go for it.

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Both are true. My friend found it at the junkyard for me. And he only charged me $500.00 which is what the junkyard charged for everything. So both stories are true.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Judging by your terrible pictures the down pipe certainly looks like the greddy kit we put on my friends car a few years ago.

Also, I believe it took 10 cans of brake clean to clean that oil pan. I would have used ATF first then stuck it in the parts washer for 15 minutes.

Edit: BTW you friend either made money off you, or that junkyard is overpriced. I just used the price sheet from the yard I go to, to add up everything you listed and came up with $180, but I couldn't find a price on clamps.

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you think I would be able to get away with at least 12lbs of boost? I really wanted to run 15 lbs of boost on stock internals but if noone has ever done that then maybe i shouldn't i'm assuming there's a reason why; i.e. engine damage.

I am certainly going to run 10lbs of boost minimum. But really want no less than 12lbs of boost. What I really wanted was 15lbs. But someone told me my pistons would disintegrate at 15 lbs of boost lol so i don't want that to happen.

I don't mind pushing the motor to see what it can do.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Why do you want to run 15 pounds? You need decide on a power goal and then research how much psi it will take YOUR turbo to make it.

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Judging by your terrible pictures the down pipe certainly looks like the greddy kit we put on my friends car a few years ago.

Also, I believe it took 10 cans of brake clean to clean that oil pan. I would have used ATF first then stuck it in the parts washer for 15 minutes.
Well this is my first official rodeo so I am doing everything for the first time.

I tried to ask for tips and tricks a couple weeks ago but everyone that responded just kinda wrote me off and I figured it was because I was new. Its cool though I understand.

Sometimes when you new you gatta learn the hard ways unfortunately.

But at this point I just want a little risky fast by pushing the envelope and hope I don't blow up my car

1 - 20 of 55 Posts